305 to L98 350 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McSweeney

Reaction score
Hey so my truck has the vortec 305 with cpfi. I just bought a L98 4 bolt main 350 from an 86 c20. So my idea is to throw out almost everything exept the block obv and covert it to a vortec with mpfi. So i know that the late 90s 350 vortec heads will bolt right up to the block and then i need to get a new intake and injectors and all that stuff. Most of it should be straight forward, but theres a few sensors im worried about for the new ecm. So i didnt look when i looked at the block, but i don’t believe it has a crank sensor port.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could use it but would be better off getting a 350 Vortec block. Nothing from the 80s had any power, and can almost guarantee a Vortec made more power. But, if really wanted to, you could use the Vortec timing cover and reluctor wheel on the 80s motor for the crank sensor.

McSweeney

Reaction score
Could use it but would be better off getting a 350 Vortec block. Nothing from the 80s had any power, and can almost guarantee a Vortec made more power. But, if really wanted to, you could use the Vortec timing cover and reluctor wheel on the 80s motor for the crank sensor.

Yea that works, i was thinking about buying a vortec 350, but i figured since im just reusing the block it might not matter? But yea maybe i should keep the motor for something special