26 years of a slide in bed liner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I finally got up the courage to remove my slide in bed liner today. 26 years in Seattle. Almost no rust, a little surface rust. Drain holes are actually really clean. She sat parked a lot, under a big tree. Hauling wood occasionally, and was it's real only task the last 5-10 years. I was expecting... Much worse. I might put it back in, it's pretty chewed up, so it took a good amount of abuse
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, my truck probably had a plastic liner for 6 or 7 years and it's really rough. Doesn't help one of the previous owners uninstalled the 5th wheel rails with a grinder and chewed up the bed.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I think I'm the only one who kinda likes those plastic bed liners haha, my 97 came with one but then put it in the 98 to give it a more complete look. My 97's bed looked way worse when I removed the plastic bedliner (rust holes behind the rear wheel wells and a large hole in front of the driver's rear well), so I don't care if the bed gets beat up.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really the only "damage" is it looks like a tube of construction adhesive got squished between the liner and bed. It wasn't because it wasn't holding the bed down any, it's just a mess of hard glue

Steve Cunningham

heavy chevy
Reaction score
I've been leery about taking mine out as well as mines been in since I bought my truck in 98 and a Leer fibreglass lid at the same time. The Leer has chewed one side of my truck as well. After seeing what you all have showed maybe it's a good idea to give it a shot.

Steve Cunningham

heavy chevy
Reaction score
I've been leery about taking mine out as well as mines been in since I bought my truck in 98 and a Leer fibreglass lid at the same time. The Leer has chewed one side of my truck as well. After seeing what you all have showed maybe it's a good idea to give it a shot.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Hate the plastic liners. Like having a damn skating rink in the box.
My '97 has a plastic liner. Factory with the GM logo.
The '98 has a rubber mat. Also factory, with the logo. 3/8" thick. 2 pieces.
Depending on my driving, lighter objects don't have a tendency to move. Things with any kinda weight don't move at all.
The box-specific liners are kinda pricey. An less expensive alternative is from Equine-type suppliers. Horse stall mats cut to size. Still has to done in 2 pieces, with the split from side-to-side.

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hate the plastic liners. Like having a damn skating rink in the box.
My '97 has a plastic liner. Factory with the GM logo.
The '98 has a rubber mat. Also factory, with the logo. 3/8" thick. 2 pieces.
Depending on my driving, lighter objects don't have a tendency to move. Things with any kinda weight don't move at all.
The box-specific liners are kinda pricey. An less expensive alternative is from Equine-type suppliers. Horse stall mats cut to size. Still has to done in 2 pieces, with the split from side-to-side.
Yeah, stuff slid around a lot. What I hated about mine was it's a killer on the knees

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I know no one's asking...But I did both worlds. My truck came with a plastic "GM," molded bedliner and I was tired of gas cans sliding around and hitting every surface no matter how slow I drove.

Bought a thick DeeZee (I think?) bedmat and threw it on top. Worked like a charm for me! Now if I'm moving something heavy by myself and need a little bit of slide (like a couch or something) I can set one end on the tailgate and slide stuff in and out with ease. Or if I'm getting loose material like stone or sand, the plastic makes for easy cleanup.

Just about anything else that has to remain upright or stay in one spot without requiring a bunch of straps, the rubber mat does awesome.