PLASTIDIP... a 10+ year review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
Was thinking today about what ima do next on the trail truck and something hit me...

So First off, I'll start by saying this, This stuff is beyond impressive. but before you flame me hear me out.

So would I use this stuff to completely repaint an entire vehicle for the purpose to make it look good for years to come? NO...
Do I think its a paint substitute? ... NO
Does it have its place? Is it superior to paint in anyway? YES!

So this rubber like paint as most of you know is super easy to apply and self levels pretty well. and within a few sprays isn't prone to running unless you get reckless with it. Also if you happen to mess up, as long as you got a healthy coat on it will peel off within the first few months relatively easy. the key to it is thickness. most horror stories with this stuff is guys applying really thin coats or the dip has dried out over the years creating an absolute mess to get off. By the way as i learned on my other truck the best way to get it off is with Gasoline,Lighter fluid, is my personal preference ALSO Aircraft paint stripper will rid of it as well (NOTE THE AIRCRAFT STRIPPER WILL TAKE THE PAINT UNDER IT OFF AS WELL JUST A FYI) Just use that if you plan on painting anyways.

Onto my personal thoughts. I painted over my OE paint in mid to late 2012. Over that period I did have to touch up 2 spots where it had peeled or chipped off around the rocker and driver side door handle. most likely from mud/salt/road rocks ect and constant use... hitting it over time. At that time I think it cost me under $100 bucks for the "paint" and a little over renting a spray gun and buying tape. between prep and finished product was a day with the help of a friend. I have literally put this stuff through hell using bleach to clean in , leaving salt and dirt on it for weeks on end pressure washing mud cakes off ect.... In this 10 year period I have learned a few things.

CONS
-First year wasn't bad but it will stain with salt and clay only way to remove it is with Bleechwhite tire cleaner
-Around year 3 is when the fading started and only progressed after that after year 6-7 it gets a "chalked" surface and if you rub on it hard enough will start to turn your hand black.
-Will chip off or be dificult to remove if not applied correctly or has sat too long on the surface.
-it is a "texured" finish kinda in between a rhino line and flat paint job.
-will need touch ups under heavy abused areas.

For most applications or smaller things like blacking out badges ect... its okay and can look good for a decent period of time.

Instead of listing the PROs Ill just type it out as other than it being a cheap alternative to painting or providing a refresh to the guy on a budget this stuff did one thing better than almost any other finish IMO.

Protection. Like I stated before I have put this crap through HELL. Honestly as far as the plastid Ip goes I've spent more time actively talking to scam callers (ignored) than I have trying to take care of this finish. the truck spent 8 Years in NJ with this stuff on it and I have ZERO body rust minus one spot under the spare tire where it was never applied. In that time I had repainted my frame 3 times to paint and correct rust. It might look like crap today but it has done a better job at holding up than my buddy's Rhino lined XJ which he paid more to do and had more issues with chipping and fading ( should note that the blue dye that was used in his liner was known to fade over time at that time) but still this stuff cost a fraction of that and literally cost me 20 mins of Maintenace to keep up over 10 years. I remember doing this back then and some guys were telling me "it wont last 6 months" . Sure its not a show car/truck ready solution. but for what i spent and the protection I got out of it I couldn't be happier. Now that this stuff has served its purpose im going to try a wrap next and see how that holds up. below are some of the photos of the dip over the years in order

DAY 1

You must be registered for see images attach

ABOUT 6 MONTHS LATER

3.5 YEARS

Attachments

• DSC00272_zps89b1ed8d.jpg
    DSC00272_zps89b1ed8d.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 10

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
In that application, I think that it's gotten better looking over time.
Suits the theme.
I don't mind seeing the odd small nick, chip or scratch (Yea...I said that!) on a vehicle like your's. Shows it gets driven & actually used in the way it was meant to be.
Y'know...not a trailer queen.

Uhmmm...wait a minute...:hmm:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Lighter fluid is Naptha. So is camp stove fuel. Way cheaper & available in larger containers.
Lighter fluid has a very pale yellow dye added to it. It will stain some light colors.
Naptha doesn't.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
In that application, I think that it's gotten better looking over time.
Suits the theme.
I don't mind seeing the odd small nick, chip or scratch (Yea...I said that!) on a vehicle like your's. Shows it gets driven & actually used in the way it was meant to be.
Y'know...not a trailer queen.

Uhmmm...wait a minute...:hmm:

only in the last year has it been a TQ lol. got tired of worrying about big breakdowns on offroad trips almost 2 hours from home.

FitzWill

Reaction score
I dipped some wheels back about 2015 and they still look decent. Just did the steelies that will go on my burb. Love the stuff for blacking out grills and badges, it sticks way better than paint.