2017 L83 into 1997

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaymondNoodle

Reaction score
Newbie here.

looking to gather some information on putting a 2017 L83 and 8l90 into a 1997 ext cab

I have found a little bit of information on the swap but I am still trying to gather more.

we have already purchased the Engine and transmission

my main concern is the wiring. I’d like a little more insight on what needs to stay and go on the factory harness.

Or If there is anyone that sells a direct plug and play set up I’d be willing to purchase one.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d like a little more insight on what needs to stay and go on the factory harness.
First Guess: It'll be easier to transfer the entire engine-transmission-computer and wire harness from the donor vehicle than to "fix" the existing harness. You're gonna need the original engine and trans computer(s); you might as well just grab the whole freakin' harness.

EDIT: Should say "You're gonna need the DONOR VEHICLE engine and trans computer(s); you might as well just grab the whole freakin' harness.

Last edited:

RaymondNoodle

Reaction score
First Guess: It'll be easier to transfer the entire engine-transmission-computer and wire harness from the donor vehicle than to "fix" the existing harness. You're gonna need the original engine and trans computer(s); you might as well just grab the whole freakin' harness.

We have the entire engine/trans harness out off the 2017. I’m talking about the 97

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have the entire engine/trans harness out off the 2017. I’m talking about the 97
Why keep the '97 engine-trans harness if you have the Donor-Vehicle engine-trans harness? If you've got the 2017 alternator and A/C compressor, you'd want 2017 wires to go with them.

Whatever is NOT being transferred over from the donor might still need the original wiring. Headlights, ABS, turn signals, blower fan, etc.

RaymondNoodle

Reaction score
I’m wanting to retain
Oil pressure, water temp, rpm
Check engine light if possible,

I assume it would be easier to splice into the 97 harness That’s already in the engine bay to make the gauges work

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Texas Speed did pretty much this exact swap (except theirs was a 6l80). Go check out their youtube channel and look at their "shop truck" videos.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m wanting to retain
Oil pressure, water temp, rpm

I assume it would be easier to splice into the 97 harness That’s already in the engine bay to make the gauges work
Maybe the donor harness has the proper wires and electrical connections for those items. Maybe the dash/gauges system in the donor truck is incompatible with the dash/gauges system in the truck you're modifying. I'm kinda guessing the new truck's gauges are driven directly by the computer through stepper motors. The old gauges are maybe not stepper-motor type. You may find that the sensors for temp and oil pressure are not compatible with the gauges you have.

Check engine light if possible
ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. So far as I know, the Check Engine light isn't driven by any under-hood wiring. Comes from computer across the dash to the light bulb; and is probably in the same harness as the data link.

Beyond that, someone else is going to have to advise you. You're way beyond what I've attempted.