1995 tbi 350 using ALOT of oil, have questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

capriceguy

Reaction score
Hi
I have a 1995 Chevy 1500 Ext 4x4 with 138K miles. Having a huge oil consumption issue with it. Burns approx 1 qt every 200-300 miles. It does not smoke excessively from the tailpipe but when I give it full throttle it does blow some black smoke. It does not leak oil, I pulled the plugs and they are all clean except #8 has a small amount of ash fouling. Compression is right around 130 on all 8 cold. With it using this much oil I would expect it to be smoking like crazy but it's not. It does not smoke on start up either. PCV valve seems to be working, I can hear it rattling anyway. My question is, with it using this much oil, shouldn't it be really obvious what is happening? Like badly fouled plug or plugs, lots of smoke, etc? Any ideas?
Thanks!
Tom

capriceguy

Reaction score
Truck leaks maybe a drop or two overnight from the front of the motor.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Start it up and let it warm up and then pull the crank case breather tube loose from the breather collar and then rev the engine some, if you have severe blow by you will see oil vapor pour out of there like a steam engine.

JackWagon92

Reaction score
Black smoke is a rich air/fuel. Blue smoke is burning oil. Plus you said the plugs look decent, you're not burning it or the plugs would be completely oil fouled at a quart per 200-300 miles. If blow by was that excessive your air filter would be oil soaked, assuming you still have factory air cleaner with attached breather.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have seen several TBI engines with lot's of miles have terrible blow by, and coat's the injector pod in oil.