1989 Silverado Stepside (ss350)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AgentYager

Reaction score
I have been in the market for a truck for quite some time and I came across this pile last week and I just had to go out and see it. Knowing it had issues but it ran, I purchased it for a measly $1100. It was sad that the slave cylinder was bad and the clutch would not disengage so I thought that would be an easy fix. I drove it home (25 miles away) not using the clutch at all in the city and I managed to make it some how.

I get it home and I was able to finally look at it and I'm bleeding the slave cylinder thinking that would help and I notice that when the wife pumps the peddle, the engine is moving but the transmission is not. Oh wow, so the engine and transmission weren't bolted together and being held together by two bolts at the top. I tightened everything back together and added some that were missing. Low and behold....The clutch and transmission work and shift smoothly.

This is where it's at right now. It runs but has next to now power and can't hold speed in fourth or OD. I have replaced the fuel filter and that was clogged all to hell and that helped a little bit but didn't cure the issue.
Next I will take the TBI unit off and check the fuel pressure regulator. Any other ideas would be fantastic as I'm coming from a Buick Regal GS which is a whole different animal.

A few things I would like to accomplish soon would be to rid the front end of those horridly tiny tires in the front and replace the rocker panels as it's from Kentucky and has a little bit of rust.

You must be registered for see images attach

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Looks like a fairly solid start. Check the fuel pressure, you may have a fuel pump on it's way out because of the clogged fuel filter. I'd also recommend replacing those front lenses, that VHT spray doesn't look right.

AgentYager

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more as far as the lenses go, I ended up wet sanding them for the time being and removed the random stickers all over the place. I replaced the fuel filter the other day and had a fantastic time fighting the rusted fittings, that helped a little bit. I also replaced the spark plugs since they looked horrible but not bad, then onto the TBI unit which I just finished rebuilding and that helped the most but still not able to push it very hard. I'm getting a
code 43 when I scanned and the knock sensor seems ok but i have yet to check the wiring going up to the engine.

All in all it doesn't seem to bad of a truck, I just have to undo most of the garbage that has been installed and change all of the fluids next paycheck. I might end up dropping the tank and doing the pump/strainer since I smell fumes from under the truck and the tank is probably rusted at the top and the strainer is probably full of rusty crap.

More to come!!!

AgentYager

Reaction score
Oh, and the hood pins are gonna go as well since I never like the look of them and the latch works just fine.

AgentYager

Reaction score
One step at a time, starting to look better.
Hood pins = gone
Turn signal housing = clear (as clear as they're gonna be)
Front license plate holder = In the garbage

1994chevymanual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nice truck! they make great project vehicles and I changed my fuel filter and noticed an improvement in throttle response

AgentYager

Reaction score
It runs a little better but still stumbles when you try any thing over 30% throttle. Ill drop the tank sometime this week and look that over. I have no idea what's been replaced and what hasn't, I'm just starting with the cheapest parts first. Thanks!