10.1” ”floater” actually fits nicely.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t have opted for this big-screen for my ‘95 Sierra but I had it sitting in a box. I was using it in my ‘14 RAM but took it out when I sold that truck.

I don’t think it looks COMPLETELY ridiculous in there so it will stay at least for a while. I do have a newer Kenwood double-DIN that I can swap into it if I get tired of looking at it. The camera angle actually makes it look a lot bigger than it really is.

Initially I thought it could set deep enough that I wouldn’t have to trim the dash opening and use the cheap Metra cover. But I just couldn’t get it to set back far enough. I’m surprised, but the Metra kit really doesn’t look too bad. This morning I was only going to test-fit the unit, but one thing lead to another….
You must be registered for see images attach

I must say that I’m quite happy to have my Apple Car Play, SiriusXM, and front/rear cameras all back again.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I was thinking about getting the Alpine Halo 11” for my Sierra. I’m glad you shared this photo. I will probably opt for the smaller version now or just get a double din. Glad you like it though.

I am planning on making a lot of road trips with my truck and having a screen for maps and Siri would be handy I feel.

What brand is this one?

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, I was thinking about getting the Alpine Halo 11” for my Sierra. I’m glad you shared this photo. I will probably opt for the smaller version now or just get a double din. Glad you like it though.

I am planning on making a lot of road trips with my truck and having a screen for maps and Siri would be handy I feel.

What brand is this one?
This is the JVC KW-Z1000W. Like I said, I’d never have bought this for this truck but it’s been sitting in the box for almost a year and was almost brand new when I took it out of the RAM. But seriously; the picture really makes it look a lot bigger than it really is because I had to get close with the phone camera.

I’m still not sure if it will stay or if I’ll replace it with a “normal” double-DIN unit. The one thing I was worried about was clearance to the dash opening and to the shift lever when in park. I have the touch screen mounted all the way back and up. It sits within a finger width of the top of the dash face and when the shift lever is in park it sits barely off of the top left side of the screen.

Like I said, this was only going to be a test-fit. But I got a bit carried away and went for it as long as I had everything apart.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aaaannd… just like that, it’s coming out. After looking at it for a couple of days I’m tired of it. Sometime this week I’ll be pulling it out and replacing it with a “regular” Double-DIN stereo. I was just hoping to like the big-screen better in there. So now I need to figure out just what to eventually put that into.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Could you have downloaded some tuner program so you could put extra gauges up on that screen or was it radio features only?

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could you have downloaded some tuner program so you could put extra gauges up on that screen or was it radio features only?
Probably. When I had this stereo in my RAM I had features that I didn‘t even imagine were available on a screen. But the bottom line is that I just don’t like this screen in my ‘95. I think the next “test” will be into a home-made center console I made for my ‘68 El Camino. That has had a double-DIN hole in it for a couple of years. It’s past time to put something in there.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I still can’t decide. I probably won’t get a standard double din since it requires modifying the sub-dash. I’m sure I’ll end up with the Alpine.

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I still can’t decide. I probably won’t get a standard double din since it requires modifying the sub-dash. I’m sure I’ll end up with the Alpine.
I mounted this full-depth case without having to cut anything but the front bezel for the Metra face. In recent years I’ve become a fan of the digital multimedia receivers that have a chassis only half as deep as the old standard double-DIN units. You can mount them into anything with plenty of room to spare behind them.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mounted this full-depth case without having to cut anything but the front bezel for the Metra face. In recent years I’ve become a fan of the digital multimedia receivers that have a chassis only half as deep as the old standard double-DIN units. You can mount them into anything with plenty of room to spare behind them.
Interesting. Do you have a link to similar chassis?