zddp additive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
OK well keep on using your cheap oil and I'll keep adding snake oil and let me know when you hit 310K. And those online oil tests are not very good and don't prove anything to me. We are talking about specifically 350 tbi engines here and nothing else.

Not trying to argue, but did you read the PDF I posted ?

If you did, did you look at who authored it?

The testing referenced in the PDF was based on a SBC and a Chev v6......

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
That's a crock of ****. Zzdp+ is made as a break in additive.

~Via Mobile

Without trying to be argumentative, Mobile 1 is the factory fill on hundreds or thousands of gm products and they "break in" just fine.

There is more to that, but typing on an iPhone sucks...:rofl:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without trying to be argumentative, Mobile 1 is the factory fill on hundreds or thousands of gm products and they "break in" just fine.

There is more to that, but typing on an iPhone sucks...:rofl:

Ya but that's on the newer roller valve train engines. The zzdp is an additive developed for helping beak in a flat tappet cam when the zinc levels started dropping in modern oils. Break in is a critical time for a flat tappet cam, once it's properly broken in you can safely run a modern oil without extra additives or a diesel oil if you want....

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would continue running a ZDDP additive even after break in just to be safe since most oils today dont have the required ZDDP to safely protect the metal to metal surfaces touching in a flat tappet cam engine since it all rides on the oil.

Required for break in is AT LEAST 1300PPM of zinc.

Really its to each his own. If theirs some people out there who dont want to listen an see what studies have proven about zinc in oils fine let them go off find out for themselves.

Back in the day when our engines (strictly TBI) were built their was plenty of zinc in the oils an they ran an drove for a long time on those oils an just until recently since 2008 they dropped the zinc due to catalytic converter failure.
Its not a bad idea to run zinc in our old engines but its more critical when its a new engine otherwise well wiping a cam.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ya but that's on the newer roller valve train engines. The zzdp is an additive developed for helping beak in a flat tappet cam when the zinc levels started dropping in modern oils. Break in is a critical time for a flat tappet cam, once it's properly broken in you can safely run a modern oil without extra additives or a diesel oil if you want....

I'll just refer back to post #32....:)

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You guys don't seriously think that the cam is slamming into the base of the lifter on every revolution do you?

It rides on a film of oil, not metal to metal.

If you have metal to metal, there's a serious problem.

The lifter is also designed to rotate in it's bore are a result of the torsional forces to help prevent penetration of the oil film. A "flat tappet" is also not flat. It's convex. This is to facilitate the rotation of the lifter and to "point pressure" the oil film.

The old "muscle car myth" came form the time of solid lifters. Hydraulic lifters are a different animal, which is what the TBI engines are equipped with.

The only time there's potential for the lobe to impact the lifter base is at startup. And that's only if the entire oil surface has separated, at which point you have bigger problems.

Keep dumping in ZDP if you want, makes no difference to me.

I would rather know why I was doing it though rather than I heard it was a good thing.

You're not going to find that on the internet.

Anyways, I'm said my piece in this debate.

Enjoy the discussion.

:)

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
theres been studies both ways, some yield positive results using the zinc for both break in and continued use, others conclude that it makes no difference. its apersonal choice or comfort pretty much, i choose to use oil with the zinc already in it for the 93, the 88 had roller everything and id use the additive the first oil change of every year and then go back to normal synthetics or what not.

tcndeb

Reaction score
Realize this is an ancient thread, but I ran across it looking for something else.

Just wanted to say I have 400,000 on my 92 TBI Blazer. I don't use additives.