zddp additive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't. You've got some researching to do if you think adding any additives to engine oil could be beneficial.

I did, that's why I am asking, from what I read it says that the 350 TBI motors could benefit from using a zddp additive cause it would bring the zinc level up to what it needs, cause it is not as high in the oils now, a few people on here have used it too

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
The ONLY reason I no longer use zddp is because of my new Cat. If I ever go catless again I'll be using zddp. But I guess I have some reading to do since my engine is still running great don't I?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Extra zddp is really only needed for flat tappet cam engines. Most engines in these trucks have a roller cam so the zinc content isn't as critical for them....

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use mobile 1 5w_30... Seems to run great with it..my old tbi since the day it was new always had 10w-30 Valvoline and that motor was perfect..got rid of it with 190k miles never smoked or burned oil

Tapatapatalk

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Extra zddp is really only needed for flat tappet cam engines. Most engines in these trucks have a roller cam so the zinc content isn't as critical for them....

I was under the assumption that everything pre vortec was a flat tappet?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
No some tbi engines got roller cams. I couldn't tell ya an exact year for the change over though...

Most, if not all, TBI 305/350's had flat tappet's.

4.3L's got Roller Cam in 1993 when GM started using CPI long blocks.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
^^^ that is a great oil. And I'm willing to bet you won't find a pre '95 gmt400 that doesn't have flat tappet cams. Zinc is needed for more than just cams though. Premature bearing failures have been linked to lack of zinc.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
:beatdeadhorse5:

Great read here: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443674

First post discusses zinc in oils, end of second post shows how often extra additives REDUCE the wear protection of oils.

The ONLY reason I no longer use zddp is because of my new Cat. If I ever go catless again I'll be using zddp. But I guess I have some reading to do since my engine is still running great don't I?

I didn't say anything about these additives causing major damage to your engine, they just damage your wallet more than anything.

Last edited: