***Your HID Questions Answered Here.***

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i made my own wit 40amp relays and 12awg wire

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe your relays are bad? I don't know, but everything you describe them doing sounds like issues that would be resolved with a relay harness.

Chad

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
alright, ill check them and see. thanks

dropped93

I want one of everything
Reaction score
since ddm no longer exist or whatever, whats other reputable places to buy hids. i really need some for my car

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Someone claiming to be DDM posted on some BMW forums that they were getting out of the HID game. That's been a couple months now. The HIDs disappeared from their site for a bit due to lack of supply, but they are back. Some speculate that the rumor was started to spur sales for a bit. Who knows? All I know is that they're still selling them.

jdixon74

Reaction score
Just got some HID's for the tahoe. Installed them. 1 ballast worked. I tested the working one on the other bulb and it worked so its not the bulbs. Both worked at first but one started to flicker like a strobe light then it quit working. I do not have a relay harness, would this maybe fix that issue? I bought 2 sets of them. One to go in 97 tahoe and other in 2001 silverado. No relay and installed in silverado and they work just fine. Any Help?

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just got some HID's for the tahoe. Installed them. 1 ballast worked. I tested the working one on the other bulb and it worked so its not the bulbs. Both worked at first but one started to flicker like a strobe light then it quit working. I do not have a relay harness, would this maybe fix that issue? I bought 2 sets of them. One to go in 97 tahoe and other in 2001 silverado. No relay and installed in silverado and they work just fine. Any Help?

1badgmc said:
What is a relay harness?
A relay harness (called a dual in/dual out harness on the DDM Tuning site) pulls the power for the HIDs directly from the battery instead of from the vehicle’s wiring harness. Even though HIDs require less power to run than halogens, they do require a considerable amount of power when they are first ignited. A vehicle’s wiring is often not up to the task of handling the power requirements of that initial ignition, which can lead to misfires.

A common symptom is that only one HID will come on. The wiring has enough to handle the ignition of one light, but not both. Usually, the other HID can be ignited by turning the headlights off and then back on again quickly.

Another common symptom is the flickering of the headlights when they’re on. The power flow is not constant enough to keep them steady.

Try a relay harness.

I've installed HIDs on a '91 and a '94 with no issues to speak of. I've installed them on a '97 and a '98 and both had similar issues to what you're experiencing. Added a relay harness and voilà! All good!

jdixon74

Reaction score
Try a relay harness.

I've installed HIDs on a '91 and a '94 with no issues to speak of. I've installed them on a '97 and a '98 and both had similar issues to what you're experiencing. Added a relay harness and voilà! All good!

Thanks 1badgmc.. appreciate the help! I contacted the ebay guy for the HID and since im not getting any flickering anymore he said the ballast is more then likely bad. So i am waiting on a replacement and the relay harness.