XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Re: XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-96 Trucks)

Any chance I can get a shaft?

galaxy s3

Blue 04 Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If its not snowing like a mother here I am going to the jy this sat. I need a new hitch for my truck. So I might pull some off up there. They have a ton of XJ's

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Thanks to whomever originally came up with this idea and posted this! I'll hit the local yard the next warmer weekend and snag one. If this will make the steering better, it's got to be worth the $$$ for it. I have the Grand Cherokee one in my 86 Monte SS and that made a huge differance in handling.

92k1500chevy

Reaction score
Not sure how everyone else is taking these out but I was unbolting the steering box after I took both the bolts out that held the shaft in, only way I could weasel the shaft out of there. Pretty sure they're all standard size as well, and some of the shafts had 7/16 and some were 1/2.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I had to drop the steering column and pull it out. The dash was already apart so I had direct access to the four bolts that held the column in place. No I would not go through all that trouble if the column was untouched haha

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
The stock shaft should compress enough to come out without having to remove anything. I used a prybar to compress the lower section up and off the steering gear. The whole process took 20 min.