XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-96 Trucks)

Is there anywhere to buy a new xj shaft for cheap? Of am I better off going to a junk yard?

92k1500chevy

Reaction score
The stock shaft should compress enough to come out without having to remove anything. I used a prybar to compress the lower section up and off the steering gear. The whole process took 20 min.

I think the first two I tried I just couldn't quite get the lower part to come up off the steering box quite enough, I know it was close though. After that I just gave in and undid each steering box instead of ****** around. It was a nice day out and I had time to burn apparently..

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
The plastic piece inside the xj shaft restricts the length. IIRC the shaft needs to expand further to fit properly.

It also makes it easier to install on our trucks without having to pry the shaft on and off

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
quick question. The xj shafts all the way up to 2000 seem to be the same. Yet the first post says to use 84-96 xj shafts. Anyone ever confirm that these are the only years? because if im not mistaken they are the same from 84-2000.