XJ Steering Shaft Upgrade (88-94 Trucks) 95+instructions on page 31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
quick question. The xj shafts all the way up to 2000 seem to be the same. Yet the first post says to use 84-96 xj shafts. Anyone ever confirm that these are the only years? because if im not mistaken they are the same from 84-2000.

There are several posts in here describing the use of shafts from other years and jeep cherokee limiteds. Go back thru and check em out.
The only experience I have is with the 84-96 version.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
upon further research, the 84-86 xj's had the 2.8 gm v6 in them so thats probably why things are different. Im assuming everyone is getting the 87-94 shaft?

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did check it out and i didnt see anything specific about 94+ years in the xj body. There is talk about grands and limiteds but I didnt see anything for 95 and up xj's. I have access to a few of those, thats why im asking. figures lol.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
I guess the best way to be sure about any different YR or model would be to measure the dia. of the top and bottom connection points to see if they match. The top has an odd oval type shape that matches my steering column shaft perfectly. The bottom is of course the round female spline. A little time with a caliper would save alot of headache.

riot936

Reaction score
Just did mine. The shaft came from a '89 xj. Pretty straight forward and didnt take long at all.