WRITEUP: GM Remote MOD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread so excuse me if this is a repeat.

As everybody knows the remotes use radio frequency. That frequency is like a wave. For arguments sake lets say that wave is 10 feet from peak to peak. Now if you decide to make an antenna, ideally your antenna should be 10 feet long. At least in a perfect world. BUT you can divide up that wave and get pretty good performance. You can go 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc wave. Of course the shorter the antenna the poorer the performance. Using an odd length will degrade the signal catching capicity. So if you decide to do this antenna mod just make sure you use the correct length.

Ken

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
I didn't read the whole thread so excuse me if this is a repeat.

As everybody knows the remotes use radio frequency. That frequency is like a wave. For arguments sake lets say that wave is 10 feet from peak to peak. Now if you decide to make an antenna, ideally your antenna should be 10 feet long. At least in a perfect world. BUT you can divide up that wave and get pretty good performance. You can go 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc wave. Of course the shorter the antenna the poorer the performance. Using an odd length will degrade the signal catching capicity. So if you decide to do this antenna mod just make sure you use the correct length.

Ken
I spy another rc pilot. Lol. I haven't been able to fly for almost 2 years now. Hopefully can pick it up again when I get back to the states.

Just for other people's knowledge, I don't know the frequency the system uses. But he is absolutely correct on the proper way to make it shorter.

Sent from my Samsung S20 using Tapatalk

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's 315mhz, so about .95m of antenna...

... antenna that's not shielded or effected by the cage effect under your dash or shielding by it running past wires with power passing through them and imposing Eddy currents.

Run a thin gauge wire up your A-pillar and into the roof per my write-up. You'll be satisfied. Believe me.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
awest623....."I spy another rc pilot. Lol. I haven't been able to fly for almost 2 years now. Hopefully can pick it up again when I get back to the states."

I wish you the best of luck getting back into RC. THANK YOU for your service to our great nation!!

Ken