Windshield Wiper malfunctioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so ever since I bought the truck(3 years now), I've been trying to figure out my random windshield wiper problem. If I turn it to mist or any intermittent spot it will keep going and stop whenever and wherever it feels like it. Alright I know how pulse board is the most logical problem, so I replaced it, but it kept doing it. Then, I figured it was the motor, so I went to the junkyard found a truck, put a jumper pack on it the wipers went fine mist intermittently and etc. I put the motor with the pulse board in my truck, still same problem.

I gave up on the wipers for about a year, and recently replaced the entire lever from lmc, which fixed my cruise control! but not my wipers.... :( So I ripped apart the steering column and tried 3 different wiper modules and the problem still consists to this day.

So to recap, I've been through including original to truck, a total of 2 motors, 4 wiper pulse boards, 4 wiper control modules and 2 levers. Only thing I've fixed in the process was the cruise didn't work before and now it does.... Is there something I'm missing inbetween the lever and the motor that I over looked? It bugs the piss outta me that they don't work.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
My truck does the same exact thing. Also on long trips when its raining and i use them for a long time, it starts to act normal and works the way it should until I stop using them. Could never figure it out. The wiper motor on my truck looks different than all the other wiper motors on the gmt400's as well.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck does the same exact thing. Also on long trips when its raining and i use them for a long time, it starts to act normal and works the way it should until I stop using them. Could never figure it out. The wiper motor on my truck looks different than all the other wiper motors on the gmt400's as well.

Oh yeah same here my pulse board is the rectangluar box over top the wiper motor maybe we should get the other style and maybe it'll work right haha

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I remember working with a technician who had an 89 astro van and he said the wipers would stop wherever they wanted so he ran some WD40 in the motor and it fixed the problem. He made it sound like there was a cut off switch inside the motor that would dry up and stick but I haven't tried that yet.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I remember working with a technician who had an 89 astro van and he said the wipers would stop wherever they wanted so he ran some WD40 in the motor and it fixed the problem. He made it sound like there was a cut off switch inside the motor that would dry up and stick but I haven't tried that yet.

I tried but to no avail. I even gave the motor some love taps but didn't help either...

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Thats weird. Does yours work correctly after constantly use it for a while without turning it off? Like a few minutes. I am looking at a wiring diagram and it doesnt show anything other than the motor and the switch

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
If it helps any, this problem started on my truck when I was at a camp and the truck was covered in some snow but not a lot. I turned on the wipers to clear the snow and it tried but was unable to wipe the windshield and now I've had this problem ever since.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
maybe our trucks don't like the color scheme they have lol

I'm trying to think back 3 years I can't remember if they have done it since I bought it. What you explained is something that sounds like would have happened to me, trying to push too much at once. I guess I'll go to the junkyard with a jump pack and find a truck that has everything working fine and take all the components, and if it still doesn't work right the only thing is a wire must be grounded or somethin. So I'll probably end up replacing all the wiring. ( which'll suck a$$)

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I was thinking of heading to the junkyard and possibly picking up a different style motor but I haven't had the time yet. When I do I'll let you know if it worked.