Why can't i do this????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
This came to me while i was wrenching the gas tank off a junkyard truck. Why can't i put a fuel pump right in the frame and run a line to the tbi and have it work? this setup would be much easier to work on opposed to the in-tank pump. i know this is the way it was with carbs but why can't it work on tbi? i figure sa long as there is a pump to bring fuel from the tank to the tbi then it should not matter were it is at. as far as pressure goes, you could put a adjustable pressure gauge between the fuel line and tbi and then you can make it get the right pressure. most of my knowledge is motor and this is a area that i don't know much about, i have always thought that this is the way it is and it can't be different. so if someone can shed some more light on this that would be great. But if there is no reason why this won't work, i plan to make a trap door in my bed and put in a fuel cell and go the old school way of fuel delivery.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
My buddy cut a trap door in the bed of his GMT800 when he changed his fuel pump, the whole job took him about 30 minutes, cutting included. He has a rubber bed mat so you can't even see the trap door. That's what I'm gonna do when I change my next fuel pump.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don'tr see a problem with it as long as you get a pump capable of putting out 12-15 psi constantly. I see guys put frame mount pumps on all the time and on tv they do the same converting to FI, so why not. You can maybe suck fuel through the factory in tank pump, I did it forever that way in the monte carlo I had, it was 4.3 tbi stock and I had carb'd 350 mech pump setup and sucked gas right thru the stock pump.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
i looked around and didn't see anything that said i could. everyone always converted the systems to what they were supposed to be. thanks for the info and thanks for showing me that thread.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The lifespan of in tank pumps tend to be better because they are cooled by the fuel in the tank.