When you reach a fork in the road, take it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't need all that extra weight. The 4l60 and 10 bolt are holding up fine so far behind the heads/cam 5.3.
I've heard mixed opinions on this. My understanding is that, I could be looking at upwards of 600hp (flywheel) with a turbo 4.8/5.3. It would be comforting to me to know I'm not sending that power though a drivetrain built to handle less than 1/2 of that. But who knows when I'll decide that is necessary. I need to put some miles on the truck and work out the kinks before I do all that.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard mixed opinions on this. My understanding is that, I could be looking at upwards of 600hp (flywheel) with a turbo 4.8/5.3. It would be comforting to me to know I'm not sending that power though a drivetrain built to handle less than 1/2 of that. But who knows when I'll decide that is necessary. I need to put some miles on the truck and work out the kinks before I do all that.

Just depends on how you drive it. It won't survive too many passes at the drag strip for sure.

Your truck looks to be a RCSB, so it's putting up less resistance than something heavier. I fully expected my NV3500 to blow up soon after I started getting into boost, but it hasn't yet.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
The late Bruce Plecan "Grumpy" on TGO was getting 17 mpg out of an earlier 454 TBI that had 4.10s and 31" tall tires and 12-13 towing. The tuning in that Suburban had some ideas he had implemented on his truck. At light load we were targeting very low 02 switch points with a fair chunk of cruise timing. Made the engines run smooth and crisp.

I'm still skeptical. I've been a member on TGO for over 20 years, went back and looked, only saw his claims for 14-15mpg and on a 1000mi trip where he was babying for mileage.

My 454 'burb has done a best of just over 14mpg twice(and I was beyond excited, 11.2-11.5mpg back and forth to work DD is normal for this rig). Both times were keeping it in the 68mph range, and involved no wind/tailwind scenarios. I don't drive aggressive, and it has been tuned, has better exhaust, HT tires, upgraded injectors, big 3, etc. Granted I'm 4wd, but a GMT400 is slighty more aero(this is almost comical to say when discussing a brick) than a squarebody and mine has overdrive.

I don't doubt you and Grumpy got better than factory mileage out of your rigs...but I'd have to see the odo and gas slips to believe those numbers were normal or average. Single trips in the right conditions with an egg under the gas pedal, it becomes more believable.

OP sorry for more cluttering of your thread!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking a 4.56 ratio with a g80 locker if I can find it b/c 0-60 acceleration is my top priority.
Be careful with a G80 rear end. It's designed to engage when one axle is spinning ~100 RPM faster than the other, then disengage at ~20 MPH. Yes the 14 bolt G80 is stronger than the 10 bolt but, they're designed to get you out of a mud puddle, not a hard hit on dry pavement :deal:

I'd go with a 8-3/4" Dana 60 or Ford 9" if you wanna race.

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful with a G80 rear end. It's designed to engage when one axle is spinning ~100 RPM faster than the other, then disengage at ~20 MPH. Yes the 14 bolt G80 is stronger than the 10 bolt but, they're designed to get you out of a mud puddle, not a hard hit on dry pavement :deal:

I'd go with a 8-3/4" Dana 60 or Ford 9" if you wanna race.
I'll look into that too. Do you know off hand of any dana 60s or ford 9s that would be a relatively easy swap, or would any such swap require welding and narrowing and such?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you know off hand of any dana 60s or ford 9s that would be a relatively easy swap, or would any such swap require welding and narrowing and such?
I'm sure you can order one made to fit but, that'll be pretty expensive. Otherwise, yeah, you'll need to modify one.

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe this would be a good option when I get there. Its new so I dont think its been tested by the market yet.

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I'm no fan of swapping in the newer master cylinder, he's also talking about swapping in the newer rear axle and brakes. If he swaps the front brakes as well, it's a good upgrade.
I was actually thinking of swapping the rear axle/brakes and front brakes from a gmt400 2500LD. Will the GMT800 rear axle's bolt up or are the spring perches in different spots? I would prefer to go with GMT800 for the reasons you mentioned but didnt think it was an option w/o serious fabrication, which I'm not comfortable doing at this point.