When you reach a fork in the road, take it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, my truck and I are at a fork in the road. I see three broad categories of options, build my 350, ls swap, 454 swap. A fourth option, swap in a running 350, is really just buying more time to pick one of the other 3 paths. I’ve prepared a cost spreadsheet and would welcome any input.

Build my 350

My block needs to be bored out. Here is the list of costs I’ve prepared.

Machine Shop………....$600
Rebuild Kit……………..…$500
Cam/Lifters……………....$800
Heads………………….…….$800-1200
Stroker(?)…………………..$1200
Intake………………….……..$250
Used Carb………………..….$300
Fuel pressure Reg…..……$150
Rocker arms…………………$200
Distributor………………..…$200
Total…………………………….$3,800-5,400

BBC Swap

L29……………………………$1,000
Machine Shop…………..$300
Rebuild kit…………………$600
Cam/Lifters……………….$1,000
Intake………………………..$300
Used Carb………………….$300
Fuel pressure Reg…..……$150
Distributor………………..…$200
TH400………………………….$600
Headers…………………….…$275
Total…………………………….$4,725

LS Swap

6.0&4l80.…………………$2,000
Machine Shop…………..$0
Rebuild kit…………………$600
Cam/Lifters……………….$1,000
PCM Flash………………..$200
Fuel Pump.……………….$150
Headers…………………….$375
Motor Mount……………$110
Electric Fan……………….$100
Fuel Lines………………….$200
Fuel Filter…………………$80
Total…………………………….$3,815

Please let me know if I’m missing something or if I’ve included something unnecessary. I didn’t add any machine work for the LS b/c I understand they wear well and will probably be good with a ball hone. I lowered the machine shop cost for the l29 because I think they also wear well and I could hopefully source something that doesn’t need bored. I am biased in favor of the BBC for the cool factor so I could definitely be missing something there. However, based on this it seems like bbc or ls swap makes the most sense based on $s per HP.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you go Big block, you'll probably need frame mounts for the engine mounts.
And heavier engine, ( 2 or 4 wheel drive?) Needing heavier springs or Torsion bars. And larger radiator and fan shroud.
Accessory drive mounts?

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can cut a bunch of the costs from the LS swap. What year is your truck? If it's a TBI all you need is a 96-up pump and a couple fittings at the engine end to adapt it. If you already have a vortec, you'd just need the adapter fittings. Motor mounts are like $40 unless you want to pay dirty dingo tax. What kind of cam and lifter are you looking at for $1000 and also what is the $600 rebuild kit for? Just curious for cost efficiency purpose

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go Big block, you'll probably need frame mounts for the engine mounts.
And heavier engine, ( 2 or 4 wheel drive?) Needing heavier springs or Torsion bars. And larger radiator and fan shroud.
Accessory drive mounts?
I thought the bbc and sbc used the same clam shell. I am planning to do a 2/4 or 4/6 drop so I thought I could get the springs for the 454ss from belltech if I go bbc. I read somewhere that my current radiator would suffice but now that you point it out that does seem too good to be true, lol. More cubes, more friction, more heat, more cooling needed. As far as accessories, I would probably buy an engine will all the accessories. But all that probably adds a couple hundred more on the bbc side.

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can cut a bunch of the costs from the LS swap. What year is your truck? If it's a TBI all you need is a 96-up pump and a couple fittings at the engine end to adapt it. If you already have a vortec, you'd just need the adapter fittings. Motor mounts are like $40 unless you want to pay dirty dingo tax. What kind of cam and lifter are you looking at for $1000 and also what is the $600 rebuild kit for? Just curious for cost efficiency purpose
Its a 1990, I had read a azproperformance article suggesting that all fuel lines be changed when adding the vortec fuel pump to a tbi truck. Thats also where I got the idea for the DD mounts. Of course, they have an interest in selling more parts so, you're right, I should take their suggestions w/ a grain of salt. I was planning on the Truck Norris cam from BTR. They sell a kit w/ springs for about $500-600 depending on what else you buy. Then, I was honestly a little lost as to lifters. I'm not sure if they must or should be replaced, same for timing set. As for the rebuild kit, I was thinking something like this one from Enginetech, idk if its typical to replace the pistons when freshening up a junkyard pull. I appreciate the questions and advice.

Sle-z_90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw an LB7 Duramax swapped GMT400 yesterday...option 4???
Then, I could roll coal though suburban Maryland. lol. The resultant peal clutching pandemic would almost make it worth the trouble. Haha My end goal is a lowered cruiser/hot rod. Just want enough power to bark the tires now and again and to get that thrown back in your seat feeling when I stomp it.