Wheel Locking Up/Brake Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccox

Reaction score
I swapped a 10 bolt posi from a suburban into my 95 silverado. I replaced all of the brake hardware and have the 11"drums. When I am moving slowly I notice there is kind of a jerk, like the wheels are oval shaped. I also noticed one wheel is locking up constantly with the slightest braking. I looked up some info about it and a lot of people said its because of brake dust build up among many other things. I went to pull off the wheel yesterday to check and it was extremely hot. The drum was not sitting flush on the axle shaft. I pulled off the drum and there was a ton of dust. I cleaned all of that out, tightened the shoes up, and reinstalled the drum. The jerking and locking up isnt anywhere near as bad now, but still happens and it is pretty hot still. Is this just something that an adjustment would fix? I was thinking both sides would have issues if it were related to the axle swap, but its only one side. Any ideas what I should do?

ccox

Reaction score
After a little driving it's getting back to where it was. Hot enough to boil water now.

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This may be a long shot, but what about the parking break cables? Have you checked to make sure they were installed correctly? Only other thing I can think of is the adjustment being set too tight. How hard is it to pull the drum off? Does it slide off, or do you have to repeatedly whack it with a hammer for more than a few minutes? Pics of the internal of the drum would help as well. Maybe something is a little out of place and a different set of eyes may spot it.

Mikes97

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take the drum in to be turned/resurfaced. It might be out of round or one of the shoes might be bent/crooked. Had the same thing going on a while back.

ccox

Reaction score
I suspect its too tight. I'll loosen them up tonight and see if that fixes it. The parking brake cable gave me a lot of trouble when I installed the axle. It seemed like it was too short on the new axle, but everything did fit in place. The drums are brand new. They barely have 500 miles on them. I'll check everything though and see if I spot anything.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If those drums have been really hot, they may have warped beyond being fixed up with a turning. How do I know this? Hmmm...
If you do need new ones, get them turned right outa the box. I've bought new ones that were so far outa whack they couldn't be turned enough to true them up.
Damn off-shore crap!

ccox

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I loosened them up and it seems like that fixed it. When I take my foot off the brake while in Drive, it actually moves now! Luckily I don't think the drum was damaged, but I may take them in anyway per your suggestions