What tool set should i get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Ok so I am going to go against the crowd today and say that I love my craftsman tools.. I bought this set and never regret a second of it.
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-...p-00935255000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
They have seen quite a bit of use (for the home wrencher) have had one 1/4 inch rachet break witch I took back an got another one.
I would definately buy this set again. It is also on sale for $200

The thing I like the best is the storace it comes in because I absolutely HATE looking for tools in a jumbled box.
I grew up on craftsman though :shrug:

That tool set looks like its pretty complete and has a nice box. I am starting to lean more towards craftsman now.

dkennedy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For what's it's worth, I finally got tired of scrounging through my mis-matched collection of tools and my eyesight isn't what it used to be, so decided to order all new sockets and wrenches. I picked up a Craftsman 176 piece "Easy Read" socket set and a couple of 26 piece combination wrench sets (SAE & MM) for about $260. That was a box full of loose sockets, but the wrench sets were in blown molded cases.

On a side note, although they aren't as heavy duty (thinner walls) as some of my older Craftsman sockets, these sockets and wrenches are still made in the USA.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
this is the set ive been using for almost 5years now http://www.shopping.com/Craftsman-Craftsman-260-pc-Mechanics-Tool-Set/info

only problem ive had with this toolset is the handle broke off the top, but its still got side handles. and lets face it the box is pretty heavy with it full of tools! that plastic single handle didnt have a chance after a few years of use.LOL
ive only broken one socket and ive had two of the ratchets kinda screw up the gears inside BUT with my junkyard use and in the gravel dust and rain caked in them.... thats pretty good for over 5years of heavy use! but best of all just go to sears and get brand new gear sets and just swap them out and your wrench is golden again ;)
only thing i would suggest IF YOU CAN..... wait till black friday and you can get that tool set from any sears for about 180bucks. :) but that is along ways away i know.LOL ive lost more sockets than ive broken! and the only one i broke was on a EXTREMELY tight lug nut on a truck that was stripped that i had to beat a smaller socket onto the lug nut with a BFH and large break bar to get the lug nut off! hell its still stuck in that socket cause i never remember to knock it out and get it replaced.LOL the box is kinda overkill BUT it has two types of sockets for each metric and standards 6sided or 12sided or how ever many they have.LOL as well as deep sockets as well. slap an extra 3/8 and 1/2inch ratchet in the top box and great for those stuborn bolts and nuts that spin on the backside!

but i would agree with some people saying craftsman has gone to crap lately BUT!!!!!!!!!!! BUT BUT BUT... there cheaper tools like the EVOLVE or what ever garbage IS MADE IN CHINA! you buy there better more expensive tools that say MADE IN USA now those are still good!!!!!! IF IN DOUBT LOOK AT THE PACKING BEFORE YOU BUY AND READ CHINA OR USA!!!! USA ALL THE WAY! cost more but quality always does!

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Get a set of reversible EZ Red wrenches, Im a technician at Hyundai and I had no idea what I was missing before I got EZ Reds.

comes in a set of 6 long wrenches.

first wrench is 8mm and 10mm

the next wrench has a 12 mm on one end and a 14 on the other

then one has 13mm and a 15mm

another has 17mm and 19mm

last one has 16mm 18mm

The heads flex on the ends, and are reversible with a switch.

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
Hey Josh who makes mastercraft? I know its sold by canadian tire but not sure who makes it for them.

Sent from a 6.5 Detroit Diesel powered smartphone

Not the Josh you were asking but Mastercraft is the menards brand down here. (like Craftsman is Sears. but now Ace sells them too among other places)

Jaws thats a sweet set!

Awesome set for the money. Always stays organized (which is a must for me). Also, For many years, I kept loads of other tools in the top that I had accumulated over the years.

this is the set ive been using for almost 5years now http://www.shopping.com/Craftsman-Craftsman-260-pc-Mechanics-Tool-Set/info

only problem ive had with this toolset is the handle broke off the top, but its still got side handles. and lets face it the box is pretty heavy with it full of tools! that plastic single handle didnt have a chance after a few years of use.LOL
ive only broken one socket and ive had two of the ratchets kinda screw up the gears inside BUT with my junkyard use and in the gravel dust and rain caked in them.... thats pretty good for over 5years of heavy use! but best of all just go to sears and get brand new gear sets and just swap them out and your wrench is golden again ;)
only thing i would suggest IF YOU CAN..... wait till black friday and you can get that tool set from any sears for about 180bucks. :) but that is along ways away i know.LOL ive lost more sockets than ive broken! and the only one i broke was on a EXTREMELY tight lug nut on a truck that was stripped that i had to beat a smaller socket onto the lug nut with a BFH and large break bar to get the lug nut off! hell its still stuck in that socket cause i never remember to knock it out and get it replaced.LOL the box is kinda overkill BUT it has two types of sockets for each metric and standards 6sided or 12sided or how ever many they have.LOL as well as deep sockets as well. slap an extra 3/8 and 1/2inch ratchet in the top box and great for those stuborn bolts and nuts that spin on the backside!

but i would agree with some people saying craftsman has gone to crap lately BUT!!!!!!!!!!! BUT BUT BUT... there cheaper tools like the EVOLVE or what ever garbage IS MADE IN CHINA! you buy there better more expensive tools that say MADE IN USA now those are still good!!!!!! IF IN DOUBT LOOK AT THE PACKING BEFORE YOU BUY AND READ CHINA OR USA!!!! USA ALL THE WAY! cost more but quality always does!

Agreed with the USA statement. The set you linked is the same kit I have/posted and it is on sale right now for $200 from sears.

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-...p-00936260000P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8

I got this tool set on sale and have been really please with it and has always had everything ive needed. They cheapened up some but still lifetime warranty and am close enough to sears I can go get it replaced so not an issue for me, even though i havent broken anything so far. Ive had the set for 5 or 6 years so far.

edit: the box is my main complaint its not made good enough to handle the weight of the tools if you carry it by the handle, I always carry it by the bottom bottom.