What tool set should i get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I am in need of a new tool set. I have been looking at the craftsman ratchet and socket and wrench kits.
What kit would you buy? I want to spend less than $200. I pretty much only work on my yamaha yz250 and my truck.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not craftsman imo, they've gone to crap in the past few years. Look at Lowes port home depot instead...

Personally I've been having good luck with the socket an ratchets from harbor freight as well. They have a lifetime warranty to...

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
glad i asked. I always thought craftsman was good.....I have broken a few husky tools so I like to stay away from them. I may go down to harbor freight and see what they have.

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
I got the 19x something ratchet and wrench set for xmas... never had issues with em.but they have a lifetime warranty. But as stated above I guess HF ones do.to

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
For that money I'd get the HF brand or Kobalt at Lowes.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like Kobalt from Lowes and you cant go wrong with cheap tools with an unlimited warranty

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Kobalt for the money these days... honestly I think if I were gonna buy Craftsman, I'd just go Harbor Freight instead... both from China and the HF's are much cheaper lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
Ok so I am going to go against the crowd today and say that I love my craftsman tools.. I bought this set and never regret a second of it.
http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-...p-00935255000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1
They have seen quite a bit of use (for the home wrencher) have had one 1/4 inch rachet break witch I took back an got another one.
I would definately buy this set again. It is also on sale for $200

The thing I like the best is the storace it comes in because I absolutely HATE looking for tools in a jumbled box.

I grew up on craftsman though :shrug:

Last edited:

manroger4

Reaction score
While I can agree with the accumulation statement,as it's so true that you will pick up a piece here and a piece there.
---
Your question has hit my thoughts on the matter as of late. Which was "If I could go back in time what would I buy?"
I would go to Sears and buy a nice all-in-one toolset. I do have a good 96 piece set that is all contained in a box. Ratchets,sockets,hex wrenches and so forth and it has served me well.

I recommend buying a nice set that you can keep organized. And my Craftsmen tools,while rarely breaking,are easy to exchange AT NO COST! Yes,it's that simple,you walk in,give them your broken or bent one,and get a replacement. (I've returned some unbelievably destroyed pieces for nice brand-new shiny ones!)
----
I would also ad a reciprocating saw. I once had a truck with the remnants of shock absorbers just hanging underneath. I did not want them there and asked a mechanic about removing them. He said he could use a torch to cut them off,but he'd have to remove the gas tank because of the heat. I went out bought a reciprocating saw for $99 and a couple of blades for $10 and saved about $150 OFF the job by doing it myself.
I've since used that thing for so many jobs I can't even count them! Great tool to have right from the start!
A good set of Screwdrivers. If a case doesn't come included,then buy a case for them.Sears will sell them or another place,just make it a strong case that wont break. This will keep all the screwdrivers in one place where you can find them.