What should I look for

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greyguild

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm a 4x4 enthusiast but so far I had 1 Suzuki SideKick (too small for me) also 1 Grand Cherokee (too grandpa like)...

So now I'm looking to buy a Fullsize Chevy pickup... I have my eyes on this one :

1989 Silverado 1500 Stepside 4x4 (even with decal I do not know if it is a real Z71) with a 350 EFI and about 127500 Miles on the counter.
You must be registered for see images attach

Before throwing my money at the guy's face, what should I look for to maybe get the truck at a better price?
I already know the frame is junk : I have access to another one in a lot better shape and I'm also a welder by profession.
The floors and rocker panel are solid and the metal part of the bed seem ok from what I could see...

But other then that, I'm not sure what are the basic problems with those trucks...

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
how much does he want ? and does everything work? engine , trans, 4x4 ect?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The boxsides are fiberglass on the stepsides but the top box rails seem to rot out often.

Jack the front end of the truck up and check for play, wheel bearings, idler/pitman arms, tre's, balljoints and give the wheel a spin to see if binding in the cv's. Even with a new inspection sticker on my 98 when I checked it over before buying the idler arm was shot.

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
If the frame is junk then I wouldn't even look at it. With the money you'd spend trying to fix all of the problems you'll find on that one, you could get yourself a decent truck.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
If the frame is junk then I wouldn't even look at it. With the money you'd spend trying to fix all of the problems you'll find on that one, you could get yourself a decent truck.

This. Don't buy a truck that needs a frame. Unless you can get it for less than $500 AND you have a frame laying around.

TUCSONDUDE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
also 1 Grand Cherokee (too grandpa like)...

http://www.off-roadweb.com/readersrides/1001or_january_2010_off_road_readers_rides/photo_04.html
Too grandpa for you? if you really want to go offroad take the jeep SFA and actaully fits down a trail FTW. if you want a bed, and go out in the sticks get a 4x4 pickup.

I bought a k1500 for 1750, that had sat for two years, valid emissioned tags, with an idle problem, cracked windshield, drove straight and right, leaky front diff. In 2kmiles and 6months have put another 1700 in repairs, then the odometer broke and i have a couple electrical gremlins to track down....

EDIT your 43.... you could be a grandfather of some of the kids on here.:deal:...sorry had to

I havent had my truck long enough to tell you what to look at. im sure you know rust. but check out the bushings on the front end.

Last edited:

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score

This. Don't buy a truck that needs a frame. Unless you can get it for less than $500 AND you have a frame laying around.

I agree...........if the frame is junk, I wouldn't even consider it unless you're going to do a full restore on it with another frame.

Greyguild

Reaction score
Thank you all, he's asking between 1500$ and 1700$ and I could probably get the frame for another 150$...

The thing is that I was already planning on sandblasting and painting the frame also doing a Solid Axle Swap on the truck I was gonna buy, no matter what was the state of the frame

So having already the frame bare look like it would be an advantage for me...

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my opinion if your capable of doing it go for it plus setting up the sas on a bare frame does work to your advantage i think