What Should I Do

What Engine Should I Run (please read post first)

• Stock LQ9 With Headers and tune

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • ZZ4/Stock LT4 Cammed 350 Vortec

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Truck currently has 230000 miles and the Previous Owner drove it for 180000 mile before me and was not easy on it and i'm looking for a replacment motor
The options i'm considering are

A 350 Vortec that has been residing in a plastic bag on a engine stand for the last 10yrs
it has less the 10000 miles and has no known problems if i was to use this one it would be mildly built to 300-325hp with a ZZ4 or Stock LT4 cam and coupled to a mildly built 4L60E

OR

A Stock LQ9 No cam, Headers, And a tune Coupled to Built 4L60E that i got from a friend of mines Totaled LS1 vette

Both Engines Would Be Freshened up with new gaskets and possible bearings and E-Fans

I'm looking for both Power Per Dollar and MPG per Dollar

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you have both already right? if not I'd use the one ya got. I think both would need a good tune to work right wouldn't they? I also think headers would be good on both. Not sure which would cost more for parts though, vortec or lq9, I'd go with which one is cheaper, unless of course you can get more power and/or more mpg on the more expensive parts motor. if that is the case I'd do the one with more power and more mpg regardless of extra cost.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you have both already right? if not I'd use the one ya got. I think both would need a good tune to work right wouldn't they? I also think headers would be good on both. Not sure which would cost more for parts though, vortec or lq9, I'd go with which one is cheaper, unless of course you can get more power and/or more mpg on the more expensive parts motor. if that is the case I'd do the one with more power and more mpg regardless of extra cost.
No I just have the 350 and the LS1 Vette tranny sorry for the confusion

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LQ9..... G8 motor? If Im correct, then thats damn near an LS3, and a friggin beast with just a cam upgrade

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
LQ9..... G8 motor? If Im correct, then thats damn near an LS3, and a friggin beast with just a cam upgrade

LQ9, 345hp/380ft.lbs. (before a tune and headers) 10.4:1 compression, weighing 65lbs lighter than an all iron 5.7L. My vote is for the LQ9 or even and LQ4 for that matter but they're getting scarce around here and everyone treats them like gold, cheapest one went for $1100 and that is a steal anymore.