What original or unique mods have you done - not the norm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Hot air tube is closed by intake vacuum when the air temp is under 180 degrees and opens and closes to keep it the same temp all the time. The advantage is threefold. 1) The tune is much easier because you don't have different temps and 2) is prevents throttle body icing on 40 ish degree foggy mornings and 3) fuel economy/engine life is maximized due to better atomization of the fuel.
On the other side when you are at heavy throttle and need full air density there is no manifold vacuum to hold the flap shut. Add a second snorkel with a flap and feed that cold air with that power charger and you will see a big improvement.
I agree with all that-if it works. The problem is that Ive never seen one that does.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I went through chopping out the heat riser flap too, then later discovered that there are some OEM units without it. I pulled this one off a '95 C2500 extended cab longbed work truck, 5.7/4L80E, no heat riser - slimy grimy in this pic, hadn't cleaned it up to install yet:

You must be registered for see images attach

Not really visible in this pic but of course I'm also running the base V6 style tube to the fender, no more silencer.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
Where did you get the blue radiator hose? Is that a silicone one? Do they last longer? I got 19 years out of my original upper hose LOL

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Where did you get the blue radiator hose? Is that a silicone one? Do they last longer? I got 19 years out of my original upper hose LOL
It was a whole set, Goodyear "Hi-Miler" and yep they were some kind of silicone hose similar to the green "cop car" hoses you'd find on a 9C1 Caprice. I probably wouldn't have laid out the bucks for them under normal circumstances, but Summit was clearing them out at a cheaper price. Can't remember how much now as that was more than 10 years ago.

Richard