What kindof Antifreeze should I use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm gonna do a coolant flush cause it really needs it. So I know I should probably use the Orange DEX-COOL, but I have a few gallons of the Green Coolant. Can I get away with using the green stuff? Cause that's what is in it now. Or should I spend the money and get the orange stuff?
And with that, What is cheaper, the concentrated stuff? Or the 50/50 mix? I need 20qts so a little over 4 gallons.

thanks

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Green stuff works fine. save yer money. I always buy full strength and mix it myself. Never understood why people spend good money fer water.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The dex cool is crap. Flush, drain and then refill with plain ol' water and cycle it through again. When draining don't forget the block drain above the oil pan rails. Then refill with distilled water (about a buck a gallon at wally world) and the green stuff.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
The dex cool is crap. Flush, drain and then refill with plain ol' water and cycle it through again. When draining don't forget the block drain above the oil pan rails. Then refill with distilled water (about a buck a gallon at wally world) and the green stuff.

THIS... When my dad bought my truck in 98 that was the 1st thing he did. To this day it still has green coolant in it. With 160,000 miles its had a radiator & a water pump changed once! still has original intake gaskets with no leaks!

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
I had the same concerns and I heard the new dex cool product is better than the stuff that came out a while ago. I have always ran the orange with distilled water and I had to replace the radiator once only because the plastic inlet cracked and was leaking bad. Original water pump and all. I think it's a personal preference

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds good guys.
I have one question. I drained it by syphoning it. I cant find either drain plug so ii sucked it out from the top of the radiator. I took out probably half then added flush and water. I ran the motor and it overheats like it isnt getting any coolant. This happened to me twice now. I only let the heat get just above the 210 mark before shutting it down. how do i go about fixing that little problem?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Sounds good guys.
I have one question. I drained it by syphoning it. I cant find either drain plug so ii sucked it out from the top of the radiator. I took out probably half then added flush and water. I ran the motor and it overheats like it isnt getting any coolant. This happened to me twice now. I only let the heat get just above the 210 mark before shutting it down. how do i go about fixing that little problem?

dex cannot be mixed with green, you have to get it all out including the heater core

over heating like that sounds like a air bubble or stuck thermostat, you did remove it while running the flush cleaner right?

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dex cannot be mixed with green, you have to get it all out including the heater core

over heating like that sounds like a air bubble or stuck thermostat, you did remove it while running the flush cleaner right?

No i did not. oh well ill go buy a new one. and im just gonna run green again.

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Run the Green... buy the undiluted and use mix it with 50/50 distilled water.

Never run dexcool!! My old c10 had it in and we tried to flush it out... got mud brown then shot the intake gaskets. Never ever ever use dexcool crap.

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still run DexCool in mine. If you change it at the suggested intervals you shouldn't have any problems.