Votes: 113 24.7%
  • 15 to 16

Votes: 105 22.9%
  • 17 to 18

Votes: 53 11.6%
  • 19 or more

Votes: 24 5.2%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on if its on the intake or the exhaust. If its on the intake, it will probably make a difference, I've had a couple go bad and it always caused my engine to run rich.

Sent while drivi-

None of these trucks have one on the intake....

Gotcha. I had the 02 replaced when it was in the shop for something else before winter so I didn't have to bother with it but the code is still there so I'm not sure what's going on with it. I'm probably going to take a better look at it myself as the weather gets warmer and see if I can find the issue with it. I'm very curious if fixing it will lead to much improved fuel economy.
You have pre and post o2's right?

The pre cat o2's are what determine fuel trim and efficiency so those are extremely important, just like a vein to your heart, the post cat o2's are not important as they only register cat efficiency to determine whether there is an issue with how they are working, but do not effect how the truck runs, most guys tune them out when they get a tune.

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score

The pre cat o2's are what determine fuel trim and efficiency so those are extremely important, just like a vein to your heart, the post cat o2's are not important as they only register cat efficiency to determine whether there is an issue with how they are working, but do not effect how the truck runs, most guys tune them out when they get a tune.

The vortecs have one before the MAF. Then one pre cat and post cat.

Sent while drivi-

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
To those with O2 sensor "wonderings": might be worth your while to pick up a scanner program that does data logging. There are some free ones on the internet. A cheaply ELM 327 interface off ebay would work well enough with them.

Then run a data log and you can watch your O2 sensors respond. "lazy" ones are reasonably obvious once you know what you're looking at. Most proggys give a graphical representation of their response.

None responsive ones are obvious.

Once you get good enough, you can watch the long and short fuel trims as well.

They all read and clear codes by the way.

If you do buy something off ebay, toss the disk that comes with it as "free scanner software" in the garbage unless you know what and how to deal and kill viruses and malware.

"Free" is never "Free" from The People's Republic of.......

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The vortecs have one before the MAF. Then one pre cat and post cat.

Sent while drivi-

Looking at mine, I see the MAF itself and an air intake temp sensor, then the tps and idle control on the throttle body itself

To those with O2 sensor "wonderings": might be worth your while to pick up a scanner program that does data logging. There are some free ones on the internet. A cheaply ELM 327 interface off ebay would work well enough with them.

Then run a data log and you can watch your O2 sensors respond. "lazy" ones are reasonably obvious once you know what you're looking at. Most proggys give a graphical representation of their response.

If you do buy something off ebay, toss the disk that comes with it as "free scanner software" in the garbage unless you know what and how to deal and kill viruses and malware.

My Superchips Flashpaq does this as well, very handy feature

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score

I'm gonna check to see which sensor the code was for once I buy a new OBDII scanner. Unfortunately if I remember correct I believe it is the pre cat O2.

I don't currently have an ODII reader but I plan on getting one of those Actron scanners once I get a little more money other than gas money. I know they read some live data but I doubt it would do O2 sensors on its own.

I'd assume an Actron scanner would work with a computer and a data program from there right....?

Thanks for the data reading software idea. It never occurred to me that they'd made software for it online...duh...

SwampHound

GMT400 Love Guru
Reaction score
Looking at mine, I see the MAF itself and an air intake temp sensor, then the tps and idle control on the throttle body itself

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

My bad, you are correct. :slap: Its a temp sensor, not an O2. Thanks for clarifying

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I'd assume an Actron scanner would work with a computer and a data program from there right.....

Dunno, I'm not familiar with it.

If it's an off the shelf handheld type code reader: doubtful....

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Dunno, I'm not familiar with it.

If it's an off the shelf handheld type code reader: doubtful....

I was thinking if it came with something that could hook into the computer while still in the OBDII Port it may work... I guess I'll have some experimenting to do when I get a little money

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well back on subject..I got roughly 13 mpg in my truck mix of flying and city flying lol..hoping to open up the exhaust soon and change the wheels and tires to help mpg

Tapatapatalk