I’m a DA…what maintenance have you screwed up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
So, this wasnt me per say but I was involved. little context
I was a Crew Cheif in the Airforce on a Tanker. I was training 2 newer airmen. Now when I say newer guys, these guys were on the flight line less than a year but had all their qualifications training. so theoretically they were qualified to do all the tasks asked of them within their skill level. However, because no book will replace OJT, we give the new guys a lot of slack in the first year while they work out the kinks. I also was one of the best Crew Chiefs in the unit for my rank, wasn't scared to ask questions, studied the Tech Orders like the bible and volunteered regularly with other specialty's because I had mastered everything in my own career feild minus the tasks that required a higher rank. I usually turned out the best techs on my team. I generally loved teaching and most of my subordinates admired my patience and the way i could adjust quickly to how they learned best. Not one of my proudest moments what happens next.

We were working nights and it was about 2 Am. We had just caught a jet (means just landed). And we were putting it to bed (servicing time sensitive items and doing inspections and shutting it down for the night) Most of the time I had the newbies do tasks that were the least likley to cause damage or bodily harm if done incorrectly and these guys so far were showing me, they were focused and on point. I would periodically check on the work they did while doing my walk around inspection looking for leaks, bird strikes, missing hardware ect... Everything was going good. they serviced the Number 1 and 3 engines with ease and seemed competent in what they were doing. One comes downstairs and says That the APU ---
(Auxilarry Power Unit - basiaclly a small jet engine used as a starter for the bigger jet engines so you dont need to use an outside source of Air or power to get the engines going) --- was low on oil. I said ok you comfortable with servicing it? he said he was good. I quizzed him on a few easy to screw up items which he answered and told him to make sure he did it by the book and stop if you got questions.
Fast forward 15 minutes and I got curious what was taking so long. I go back to the back of the jet and saw him pumping oil from the service cart. I asked him how low it was he said about half way down the needle. I said okay how much have you put in while eyeing 2 cases of oil cans up on the stand... he said Well I refilled the cart 2 times. (cart holds about 5 quarts) The APU if memory serves me right was a 9-quart sealed system because its hidden inside the tail cone of the aircraft. I say sealed because unlike the regular engines it's possible to over service it. It uses 2 Quick disconnect couplers one is a pressure line that feeds the system and the other acts as a overflow/air releif. In theory with the second QD connected you cannot overservice it because as soon as you put the 9 quarts in the any additional fluid will just overflow into a catch bucket on the stand. wellllllllllll as soon as he said that I jokingly asked why he was filling his bucket with oil to which he said nothing came out. that's when I noticed the oil starting to piss out of the panels directly below the belly of the tail cone... I get up on the stand with him and disconnect and reconnect the relief line and like a garden hose it hisses and blows about 2 quarts into the bucket with some force. One of the few times I chewed someone out. I asked him why on earth if a system can only hold 9 quarts would you pump 10 quarts into it also knowing it had at least 4.5 quarts to begin with. basically the QD coupler was worn out and it couldnt seat properly so the whole time hes pumping hes just pressurizing the sytem with more air and oil than it can hold. Expierence would tell you somthings wrong if you dont smell the oil vapor escaping as your pumping. Needless to say It was a harsh lesson for him. After I called Jet shop out, they confirmed what I already expected. he blew out all the seals in the oil system flooding it out essentially. needed a complete swap and rebuild. No idea what the actual Goverment cost was but id assume in the 6 figures. Of course he got his ass chewed out I took some of the blame as I should. talked to him a few months ago we laughed about it and from the sounds of things I left a good mark on him hes doing well.

Sorry for our tax dollars guys. thats my B lol

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So, this wasnt me per say but I was involved. little context
I was a Crew Cheif in the Airforce on a Tanker. I was training 2 newer airmen. Now when I say newer guys, these guys were on the flight line less than a year but had all their qualifications training. so theoretically they were qualified to do all the tasks asked of them within their skill level. However, because no book will replace OJT, we give the new guys a lot of slack in the first year while they work out the kinks. I also was one of the best Crew Chiefs in the unit for my rank, wasn't scared to ask questions, studied the Tech Orders like the bible and volunteered regularly with other specialty's because I had mastered everything in my own career feild minus the tasks that required a higher rank. I usually turned out the best techs on my team. I generally loved teaching and most of my subordinates admired my patience and the way i could adjust quickly to how they learned best. Not one of my proudest moments what happens next.

We were working nights and it was about 2 Am. We had just caught a jet (means just landed). And we were putting it to bed (servicing time sensitive items and doing inspections and shutting it down for the night) Most of the time I had the newbies do tasks that were the least likley to cause damage or bodily harm if done incorrectly and these guys so far were showing me, they were focused and on point. I would periodically check on the work they did while doing my walk around inspection looking for leaks, bird strikes, missing hardware ect... Everything was going good. they serviced the Number 1 and 3 engines with ease and seemed competent in what they were doing. One comes downstairs and says That the APU ---
(Auxilarry Power Unit - basiaclly a small jet engine used as a starter for the bigger jet engines so you dont need to use an outside source of Air or power to get the engines going) --- was low on oil. I said ok you comfortable with servicing it? he said he was good. I quizzed him on a few easy to screw up items which he answered and told him to make sure he did it by the book and stop if you got questions.
Fast forward 15 minutes and I got curious what was taking so long. I go back to the back of the jet and saw him pumping oil from the service cart. I asked him how low it was he said about half way down the needle. I said okay how much have you put in while eyeing 2 cases of oil cans up on the stand... he said Well I refilled the cart 2 times. (cart holds about 5 quarts) The APU if memory serves me right was a 9-quart sealed system because its hidden inside the tail cone of the aircraft. I say sealed because unlike the regular engines it's possible to over service it. It uses 2 Quick disconnect couplers one is a pressure line that feeds the system and the other acts as a overflow/air releif. In theory with the second QD connected you cannot overservice it because as soon as you put the 9 quarts in the any additional fluid will just overflow into a catch bucket on the stand. wellllllllllll as soon as he said that I jokingly asked why he was filling his bucket with oil to which he said nothing came out. that's when I noticed the oil starting to piss out of the panels directly below the belly of the tail cone... I get up on the stand with him and disconnect and reconnect the relief line and like a garden hose it hisses and blows about 2 quarts into the bucket with some force. One of the few times I chewed someone out. I asked him why on earth if a system can only hold 9 quarts would you pump 10 quarts into it also knowing it had at least 4.5 quarts to begin with. basically the QD coupler was worn out and it couldnt seat properly so the whole time hes pumping hes just pressurizing the sytem with more air and oil than it can hold. Expierence would tell you somthings wrong if you dont smell the oil vapor escaping as your pumping. Needless to say It was a harsh lesson for him. After I called Jet shop out, they confirmed what I already expected. he blew out all the seals in the oil system flooding it out essentially. needed a complete swap and rebuild. No idea what the actual Goverment cost was but id assume in the 6 figures. Of course he got his ass chewed out I took some of the blame as I should. talked to him a few months ago we laughed about it and from the sounds of things I left a good mark on him hes doing well.

Sorry for our tax dollars guys. thats my B lol

In the grand scheme of government waste that's not even a blip on the radar. Don't sweat it.