Help shaking? I’m lost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Budsjlm

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure this out to no end

94 4.3 5spd all new rotors, bearings, pads,calipers and soft lines maybe have 2k on them

Been sitting on the back burner with power steering issues yay for new pump that’s trash right from the get go but not the issue.

Been driving it to get some miles on it and the other day as I am cresting a hill I start getting a little bit of a shake. Comming to a stop light on the down hill and it’s acting like I lost a wheel bearing the shaking got worse and almost felt like brake was grabbing and relasing a bunch and even worse when on the brakes.

Turn at the light so I can pull into a parking lot and it’s gone. Stop at a gas station about a mile down the road and start checking it over, everything seems good

Rears are out of the question because a popped a line and is currently cut/crimped off

Hop back in the truck because I’m about 4 miles from home, feels great.

Hit about 65 cruise it starts going it again

Pull off and take the city streets and it does it randomly

Today jacked the front up ball joints look good and pass the prybar under the tires test, steering components has some play but nothing to that seems like it would be the issue, dust caps off nothing looks out of place and bearings still preloaded like I set them, wheels are tight

About Ready to chop this thing up part it out and make a damn trailer out of it

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Shaking only in the front end? Shaky steering wheel? When was the last time its been aligned and/or front end components replaced? Sounds like negative castor shake... Think grocery cart front wheels.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been sitting on the back burner with power steering issues yay for new pump that’s trash right from the get go but not the issue.
Did the faulty PS pump put trash in the steering gear?

Been driving it to get some miles on it
Not the brightest move since there's no rear brakes.

and the other day as I am cresting a hill I start getting a little bit of a shake. Comming to a stop light on the down hill and it’s acting like I lost a wheel bearing the shaking got worse and almost felt like brake was grabbing and relasing a bunch and even worse when on the brakes.

Turn at the light so I can pull into a parking lot and it’s gone. Stop at a gas station about a mile down the road and start checking it over, everything seems good

Rears are out of the question because a popped a line and is currently cut/crimped off
No rear brakes. Vehicle should not be driven.

How about rear wheel bearings, differential bearings, etc?

Hop back in the truck because I’m about 4 miles from home, feels great.

Hit about 65 cruise it starts going it again

Pull off and take the city streets and it does it randomly

Today jacked the front up ball joints look good and pass the prybar under the tires test, steering components has some play but nothing to that seems like it would be the issue, dust caps off nothing looks out of place and bearings still preloaded like I set them, wheels are tight
Fix the loose steering components. Verify control arm bushings.

Dust caps? Apparently a 2WD.

Those wheel bearings aren't supposed to be "preloaded".

Are you sure you checked the suspension/steering components properly?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crimp both front brake lines and see if the shaking stops lol

I probably shouldn't say that. Don't do it. You can't half-ass crap and expect stellar results. Loose steering sounds suspect and stuff reacts differently loading/un-loading. Look at all of the suspension and steering closely

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
steering components has some play but nothing to that seems like it would be the issue
Fix these first. You know they're bad, and they're hindering your diagnosis. Especially fix the brakes. Crimping off a brake hose/line is only acceptable in an emergency. Once you get it some place safe, park it until that's fixed. If you get in any wreck and the other party finds out you're going to have a hard time winning any lawsuits that may emerge, and the insurance companies won't touch you without serious cash up front, every month.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a steering gear box get loose from the frame once and it had that symptom. Took a bit to find the problem as it didn't transfer to the steering wheel as much as I would have expected it to, and was tough to duplicate in the air. Had to reinforce frame once we did isolate it.