What kind of headlight bulb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
First let me say I was not sure if this post should go in Audio and Electronics but it was the most relevant I beleive.

I am looking to get some LED headlight bulbs for my truck, both the high beams and low beams. My truck is a 1996 chevy k1500 silverado.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me what kind of bulb my truck takes, also if anyone recommends certain bulbs that would be great.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LMB1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it's 9005s and 9006s from what amazon was telling me when I was window shopping bulbs with the filters on.. lol

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
9005 and 9006 are the correct bulbs.

I would recommend halogen bulbs or HIR's to replace them.

LED might be all nice and cool looking white, but the housings are designed for a filament light source, period. No other lighting product will give you a correct, usable pattern.

On the candlepower forums, there is a lot of information on vehicle lighting, standards, legality issues.

Note that aftermarket complete LED replacement housings for the single large glass headlamp system ( 6054 ) such as the Trucklite meet certification and safety requirements as they are a complete system.

TBaganATX

Reaction score
I have LEDS in my 94 BLAZER, never had an issue nor have been pulled over. All the trucks/cars with HID'S projectors are insanely bright.. I bought mine from VLEDS

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO, stick to factory Halogen 9005 and 9006s. The housings weren't designed for LEDs, and HIRs lack the glare cap on the low beam bulb that the factory bulbs have to eliminate the "hotspot" of the bulbs from the perspective of oncoming traffic. I always run either GE NightHawks or Sylvania XtraVision. DO NOT use anything with a blue coating on the bulb such as Sylvania Silverstars. All it's going to do is rob you of light output. If it ain't 100% clear glass, you don't want it for a headlight bulb.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
IMO, stick to factory Halogen 9005 and 9006s. The housings weren't designed for LEDs, and HIRs lack the glare cap on the low beam bulb that the factory bulbs have to eliminate the "hotspot" of the bulbs from the perspective of oncoming traffic. I always run either GE NightHawks or Sylvania XtraVision. DO NOT use anything with a blue coating on the bulb such as Sylvania Silverstars. All it's going to do is rob you of light output. If it ain't 100% clear glass, you don't want it for a headlight bulb.
Damn, my bulbs have blue coatings. Also if I buy new ones it looks like it be a ***** to change them. I'm sure the blues are even more hurt due to the fact that I have tinted lenses too...
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Damn, my bulbs have blue coatings. Also if I buy new ones it looks like it be a ***** to change them. I'm sure the blues are even more hurt due to the fact that I have tinted lenses too...
You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah, neither the tinted lenses or the blue bulbs are helping you any there. Changing bulbs in these trucks is stupid easy, though. You just remove two studs per housing and they pop right out. Here's a video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If I were you I'd think about different headlight housings without the black tint, but at the very least buy some clear glass bulbs and throw them in there. I bet you'll notice a difference immediately. Here's those XtraVisions I recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-XtraVision-Halogen-Headlight-Contains/dp/B0031HI0HY

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-XtraVision-Halogen-Headlight-Contains/dp/B0031HEIDY

The standard GE NightHawks are great too. Those are usually a little harder to find and more expensive, though.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Yeah, neither the tinted lenses or the blue bulbs are helping you any there. Changing bulbs in these trucks is stupid easy, though. You just remove two studs per housing and they pop right out. Here's a video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If I were you I'd think about different headlight housings without the black tint, but at the very least buy some clear glass bulbs and throw them in there. I bet you'll notice a difference immediately. Here's those XtraVisions I recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-XtraVision-Halogen-Headlight-Contains/dp/B0031HI0HY

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-XtraVision-Halogen-Headlight-Contains/dp/B0031HEIDY

The standard GE NightHawks are great too. Those are usually a little harder to find and more expensive, though.
Thank you so much for all the help dude!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're welcome!

Also just a heads up, there's a quick and easy mod we refer to as the 4-Hi mod. Basically installing a relay so that when you hit the high beams, all four bulbs will stay on instead of it just switching to the other two. Twice the output when you activate your high beams for $10-15 and 30 minutes of work.

There's a big ol' stickied thread up at the top of this section of the forum about it.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/4-hi-headlight-mod.122/

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
You're welcome!

Also just a heads up, there's a quick and easy mod we refer to as the 4-Hi mod. Basically installing a relay so that when you hit the high beams, all four bulbs will stay on instead of it just switching to the other two. Twice the output when you activate your high beams for $10-15 and 30 minutes of work.

There's a big ol' stickied thread up at the top of this section of the forum about it.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/4-hi-headlight-mod.122/
Ok cool, thanks.