What is this? And can I get rid of it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a98 and it doesn't have one of those

I have a 96 also nothing
I see them on SOME trucks but not many

Sources
I live in CA

MikeyHustle

Reaction score
The elusive A.I.R. pump... Never seen one of them here in Missouri. I believe they were for CA emissions vehicles only.

EDIT - One of the hoses should go to a bung on an exhaust manifold, not 100% sure about the other one.

Thank you for letting me know the proper name. Now to find out the correct removal process.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Our 99 Yukon has one. Our 2000 Denali had one. Our 2000 NBS suburban has one. All are California models.

dvst8err

Reaction score
You might have a whole lot of problems if you remove that pump. Those are vacuum lines running to and from, the whole emission system runs off vacuum lines and hoses. The slightest leak will change performance and cause misfire, idle, starting and stalling issues. It's going to have a few sensors and lines that run off a vacuum circuit. Removing one will shut the whole system down. Get familiar with the emissions system, look under the hood or on the fan radiator cover, there usually is a sticker that maps out the emissions.

MikeyHustle

Reaction score
This box pumps air into the exhaust manifold. A couple check valves and hoses.

Last night I removed both hoses. Capped the manifold. And it still runs perfect, no gauge lights. So far so good.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
You'll have multiple trouble codes and probably won't pass smog tests.
Wrong.

It was in my suburban. I removed it along with everything connected to it. No codes, no issues. Its also not a smog item that is required for emissions testing outside of comifornia.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wrong.

It was in my suburban. I removed it along with everything connected to it. No codes, no issues. Its also not a smog item that is required for emissions testing outside of comifornia.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
I think of removed most smog tech wouldn't even know it was ever there

But then again if your like me you bump into the occasional smog tech hero
Who fails you because he's a little sissy and scared to pass anything that looks remotely nonstock
Even with appropriate markings , tags, stickers