What is this hose and where is it supposed to lead?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I got a 96 c1500 350 vortec, there’s this hose behind the radiator cap and next to the battery that I was curious about. When I loosen the hose clamp, coolant comes out of it. Is it supposed to look like this? Or is it supposed to lead somewhere and mine is cut for some reason?

Attachments

• IMG_7982.jpeg
    IMG_7982.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7983.jpeg
    IMG_7983.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 51

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I think some of the replacement radiators have a hose barb there that are unused in most applicatons. My 95 suburban has heater core return there but is also a 7.4L TBI with auxiliary heat pretty sure my old 99 k1500 didn't have that port, i.e. not needed here.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems to be the diesel trucks had heater hoses that went to the radiator. could be a radiator out of one of those

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Spectra Premium aftermarket radiator, that is spec’d for my truck, has one of those. Replace that hose with one of these. Just confirm size you need. Well worth it.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
seems to be the diesel trucks had heater hoses that went to the radiator. could be a radiator out of one of those

Nope. Diesel radiators didn't have caps and the tanks look completely different. The overflow can is pressurized on those trucks, so that reservoir is desirable for an LS swap if using an LS radiator.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the responses, I’ll see about capping it off with that part Caman96 mentioned.

Also, kinda unrelated but does anyone know the purpose of the big cushion sheet thing on the underside of the hood? Idk whether to call it foam or fabric but mine is pretty worn, is there any reason to replace it rather than just take it off and paint where it used to be?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the responses, I’ll see about capping it off with that part Caman96 mentioned.

Also, kinda unrelated but does anyone know the purpose of the big cushion sheet thing on the underside of the hood? Idk whether to call it foam or fabric but mine is pretty worn, is there any reason to replace it rather than just take it off and paint where it used to be?
It is a sound insulation option. Lots of trucks came with out one.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The drain fitting on the bottom of the radiator in my 95 K2500, broke. So I replaced it with the same deminsional size, except original was 2 row, the new one is a 4 row. This past summer no matter how 100 plus days never got over 198. The new radiator had the heater return hose fitting. And had a cap included. The new radiator was originally speced' for 95K2500 with big block, extra cooling capacity.