What basic setup do LS engines like? True dual or 2-into-1?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Considering some changes on the '97 Suburban with the LS1 in it. Currently has longtube headers, no cats, and a 2-into-1 Y setup going into some unknown performance style muffler, think the guy said it was a Walker or a blah blah. Can't readily find any name or part # on it but I didn't look very hard. Head pipes I'm guessing look like 2.5" into a 3" single after the Y.

Dunno how else to describe the sound except, almost like a stupid glasspack setup. It's flappy/potato-ey if that makes any sense. It's annoying to me. Sounds more like it's a '50 Mercury lead sled with 5" wide whitewalls and a corny flame job.

I'm used to TBI 2-into-1 with a nice Flowmaster 40 dumped ahead of the axle. I know, I know, don't need to hear any Flowmaster h8 - to each their own. But this setup on the Suburban has gotta change.

I was thinking about chopping out the Y and putting in a pair of 40's dumped, truck is going to be lowered so I'm ditching the tailpipe anyway.

Ideas?

Richard

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have duals with an x pipe, and 2 40 series Flows on my LS in my 95 and I like it a lot. It's all 2.5 after my long tubes also.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have duals with an x pipe, and 2 40 series Flows on my LS in my 95 and I like it a lot. It's all 2.5 after my long tubes also.
Cool, thanks for that. I was thinking about an X or H as well, to balance the sides. I ran dual Flowmasters (separate) on a Vortec 7.4 and it sometimes sounded...a little funky, but mostly good. I'm guessing if yours are side by side, you probably had to cant them a little for clearance under the body and to the ground?

You must be registered for see images attach
Yeah, um, no, yeah. :gr_grin:

Richard

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah they are stood up right side by side, I have very limited space under my truck, I like it this way, to begin with I had it y'd together in to one muffler and it sounded fine at idle but had a strange sound while rev'd up, I did not like it at all.

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I kinda liked the Flowmaster Super 10s on my friend's 4.8 Silverado. Wish I had video of that.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Super 10's would sound mean as hell no doubt, but I think on a long-term basis I'd come to hate them.

Richard

hybrid1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine is longtubes into 2.5 tubing then x pipe into borla mufflers then over the axle and side exit. My mufflers are also stood up side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk