Water Pump Relacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rook

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bolt holes go completly thru the block and the back of the bolts touch the water. They are usually ok by themselves. If they start leaking around the bolts, pull them out one at a time, thread seal them, and put them back in. Problem solved without removing anything.

Ahhh, good to know about going all the way through. Thanks for the info. -And, glad to know I don't need to tear back into it.

kjward941500

Reaction score
Help Guys?

I have a 94 C1500, I put some coolant in because the engine was getting hotter than usual, I filled the reservoir to the cold line with coolant only, no water, the engine stayed In the center for about ten miles then it gradually went to the red, I pullled over and popped the hood, there was steam coming from the water pump and pulley for the serpentine belt, there was also coolant pooled under the fan, I think I have a bad seal or is the pump? Maybe belt or pulley? The resovoir I'd filled about 30 minutes prior was empty. The engine is a 350 tbi rebuild. Im contimplating using some sealant but I'd like to get some feedback before I put a foreign liquid inside my engine. Can anyone help? I also occasionally smelled coolant after driving without overheating.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
It's either by passing the bearings or coming out the weep hole. A new pump is under $50. Don't trash your engine with any form of stop leak. You can change it yourself in very little time.

deej-79

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I need to change my pump this weekend (happy bday to me!) Anyone want to walk me through the proper steps to refill the coolant?

Thanks

deej-79

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got it done tonight in about 5 hours and three trips to the parts store. I ended up replacing all hoses thermostat and sepentine belt while I was in there. The hardest part was getting the fan and the lower rad hose off.

Harryjames

Reaction score
Bold sizes and lengths comes in variety.chances are if the get fixed for one sort of water pump ,they might not for others.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys since im running under drive pulleys I replaced my water pump with high volume water pump due to the pump turns slower at idle and this Houston bumper to bumper traffic and TEXAS heat is bad on one's cooling system I can say it does push out much more water I noticed when I was flushing out all my cooling system another thing I do is when filling up my radiator I add one gallon of antifreeze then I finish filling up my radiator with distilled water and so far so good im still on the same radiator since I bought my truck new in 1993 knock on wood.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a '93 5.7 350. Is the process the same on my engine or are there some notable differences on a TBI?

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OP did a great write up here. I also think the message that hoses, stat, pump, and belt are cheap for the protection they give he engine and the peace of mind they give you can't be overstated.

This is a great forum, and this thread is one of the reasons.