Water Pump Relacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homermacleod

Reaction score
Mine wouldn't come out, so I just pulled the hose and let it rain from there. A jug of coolant is cheap. A radiator isn't.

Sent from my infected Android using tapatalk.

Do you have a picture of the drain petcock location? I changed my water pump a few months back and did not see the drain anywhere, I just disconnected the lower hose.

mike1988

Reaction score
I have an 89 gmc 1500 with the 305 tbi and it always runs at around 200 210 degrees ever since i bought it. Is this normal if not does anyone know anything that may cause this or i can do to get it to run cooler?

homermacleod

Reaction score
I have an 89 gmc 1500 with the 305 tbi and it always runs at around 200 210 degrees ever since i bought it. Is this normal if not does anyone know anything that may cause this or i can do to get it to run cooler?

I think mine ran at about 190 with the stock thermostat. You can replace the thermostat with a 160 - 180 to have it run cooler. If you have not done it in a while, flush your cooling system as well.

BigV

Reaction score
There is no advantage to running a cooler thermostat. Heat = power. To get the best performance you want to run hot without causing cavitation. If you have to run a cooler thermostat then your cooling system is not functioning up to par. Most of the time it is due to sediment plugging the radiator tubes.

The Silica based coolants are engines call for breaks down over time. Typically two years is all it is good for. It should be flushed and replaced with new coolant and distilled water. Water pump failures are caused by contaminants eating away at the impeller bushings. Those contaminants usually come from using plain old tap water.

If you run under extreme conditions you should consider going with a Flowkooler water pump and an oversized radiator. I also run Evans Coolant in my track car and motorcycle. Evens is a waterless coolant that does not boil. I run a 220 degree thermostat in the track car and never overheats or knocks.

Another issue that can cause heat problems is thermostat flow. Many cheap ones don't allow much flow and the engine will run hotter without getting the water through the radiator. You can do a search on summit or jeggs to find some good ones. They only cost a couple of bucks more than the cheap ones.

One of those infrared thermometers is a good tool for checking the radiator. I've seen some so plugged that the lower half stays at ambient temp.

rjrider

Reaction score
I just replaced my thermostat because my truck has been running around 140 degrees since i bought it, which made me think it was stuck open. Long story short it was in upside down.