Water Pump Relacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm glad my new house came with an old work bench that has a vice bolted on to it. I'll get to work on this - thanks for the tip.

EDIT - Ran into another issue. The paper gaskets that come with the new water pump leaked. I had to spread RTV sealant on the gaskets to get the water pump on there leak-free. Just an FYI. Not only will the sealant stop the leak, it will help hold the paper gasket in place when you are bolting the water pump on.

Last edited:

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good write up. Now on my 93 5.7 GMC truck I have under drive pullys so I installed a high flow water pump which it does push more water. They reason behind it since ones water pump is turning slower in this H-Town traffic the temp will climb up.

Sepiroth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
NICE WRITE UP!! I in particular like your homemade fan removal tool. I made one similar way back when, but it has since broke.

Now, I am just wondering here. Maybe its overkill and whatnot,but seeings as you have the coolant drained and are THAT close to the timing chain, would it be overkill to swap it out?

I suppose with a lil over 100K that might seem like it, but when your mileage is higher, would you tend to err on the side of caution??

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Spoken like someone who has a GED level education and thinks Prime Rib is not as good as a Big-Mac(1. Because they cannot AFFORD Prime Rib, 2. Because they are ignorant, 3. Because they never HAD Prime Rib)

I'm lost as to why this comment was even posted.

CUSTOM06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NICE WRITE UP!! I in particular like your homemade fan removal tool. I made one similar way back when, but it has since broke.

Now, I am just wondering here. Maybe its overkill and whatnot,but seeings as you have the coolant drained and are THAT close to the timing chain, would it be overkill to swap it out?

I suppose with a lil over 100K that might seem like it, but when your mileage is higher, would you tend to err on the side of caution??

I'm with you, it's already have torn apart might as well change it out. My 2dr Tahoe has 160k on the dial, if the pump goes the chain goes with it. The PO seemed to have kept up with this truck pretty good, but who is to say it has ever been changed. How would I go about checking if it was changed and at what mileage?

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only thing about changing out the timing chain on this engine is the fact that good ol GM decided to incorporate the oil pan gasket into the timing chain cover. Pulling the cover will mean messing with the oil pan gasket and replacing one of those while the engine is in the truck is a PITA sometimes. I know a lot of people have these little tricks they do to the gaskets and the timing chain cover to get it to go back but if it leaks after the job is done then most guys just let it leak.

I run a two piece Edelbrock cover on my camaro is it makes **** jobs like that a lot easier since it doesnt effect the oil pan gasket at all.

603 z71

Reaction score
hey guys, im doing the water pump on my z71, i rand into a little trouble with the drain petcock on the radiator, its being a fussy lil ******* and i dont wanna snap it. should i just pull of the lower radiator hose? or soak a lil pb blaster on it and let it sit while i try removing the rusty bolts on the lower fan shroud? thanks in advance

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
hey guys, im doing the water pump on my z71, i rand into a little trouble with the drain petcock on the radiator, its being a fussy lil ******* and i dont wanna snap it. should i just pull of the lower radiator hose? or soak a lil pb blaster on it and let it sit while i try removing the rusty bolts on the lower fan shroud? thanks in advance

Mine wouldn't come out, so I just pulled the hose and let it rain from there. A jug of coolant is cheap. A radiator isn't.

Sent from my infected Android using tapatalk.