Water Pump Relacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdlyn13000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Which water pump are you guys using? I'm looking at Rockauto and they have 2 AC Delco pumps. One around $40 I believe and one around $140 I think it is. Anyways I can't see a difference between them. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So what is the proper sealant for the bolts? When I did my lower intake I used Permatex #59214 and I always wondered if it was the right stuff or not.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So what is the proper sealant for the bolts? When I did my lower intake I used Permatex #59214 and I always wondered if it was the right stuff or not.
Sealant for the bolts???.....lol... if you follow the gm tech manual there is a number for it... but..... in all my years back yard mechanic, and doing it for a living at a shop, I've replaced hundreds of chevy small block water pumps and never once put sealant onto the 4 morning bolts....never had one issue. In fact I usually cleaned the bolts off with a wire wheel as the ones with sealer where terms to get out..

all the small blocks, blocks, are the technically the same with little changes here and there from way back in time till they introduced the the new small block engines, the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 engines.. the bolts all went into the water jacket of the motor... never had one leak from the bolts "yet"...

sent from what use to be a great country...

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys since your removing the serpentine belt I thought I would post this video below I'm going to try it and it so happens that I have the 303 protective product they used I bought it at Bap Geon but you can find it on eBay another thing I pulled out the plastic deep storage pocket that's below the back arm rest on my 1993 GMC ext/cab to store the old belt I removed since you never know if there might be a cat in the engine compartment when you turn on your truck and it messes up the belt.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Lol, I've had to replace the water pump on my 99 C1500 Sub twice. I didn't know anything about sealing the bolts, I was using anti-sieze lol.

This one doesn't leak but the first one "did" but now I'm wondering if it was perhaps leaking from a bolt. I remember thinking it was the weep hole but light is always bad from the ground up lol

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
592 is an EXCELLENT thread sealant. It has a similar chemical to Loctite thread-lockers, so it doesn't "dry" so much as it "cures". It does a GREAT job.

Lol, I've had to replace the water pump on my 99 C1500 Sub twice. I didn't know anything about sealing the bolts, I was using anti-sieze lol.
Anti-seize can be used as a thread sealer. It's not my first choice unless the female-threaded casting is aluminum.

You'll probably be fine. If I'm threading into iron or steel, I use Loctite/Permatex 592.

RTV Silicone has NO PLACE in this repair. RTV Silicone can be used to REPLACE gaskets, but should not be used as a gasket dressing or gasket sealer. RTV Silicone should not be used on threaded fittings, or on bolt/nut threads, in part because it will cure before you have a chance to re-torque bolts after initial running of the engine--and then the RTV shreds during the retorque. Shredding RTV is also why you never use it on an oil system--you may not get the RTV back out when it's disassembled, and RTV pieces then plug the oil passages.

The ONLY time I use RTV on a gasket is when the gasket mates with another gasket, or with rubber seal. I put a dab of RTV at the seam between the two gaskets, or between the gasket and seal.

I used to use Weatherstrip Adhesive (Yellow Death) to glue gaskets to castings or to valve covers, but I quit doing that when I discovered "real" gasket adhesives.

There's a hundred gasket dressings or gasket sealers. They all work better than RTV Silicone. Some brand names are: Gasgacinch, High Tack, Copper Coat, Indian Head, Permatex #1, #2, and #3. Hylomar is really good--and hatefully expensive. Gasgacinch does 95% of what Hylomar does, at 1/10 the price.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
592 is an EXCELLENT thread sealant. It has a similar chemical to Loctite thread-lockers, so it doesn't "dry" so much as it "cures". It does a GREAT job.

Anti-seize can be used as a thread sealer. It's not my first choice unless the female-threaded casting is aluminum.

You'll probably be fine. If I'm threading into iron or steel, I use Loctite/Permatex 592.

RTV Silicone has NO PLACE in this repair. RTV Silicone can be used to REPLACE gaskets, but should not be used as a gasket dressing or gasket sealer. RTV Silicone should not be used on threaded fittings, or on bolt/nut threads, in part because it will cure before you have a chance to re-torque bolts after initial running of the engine--and then the RTV shreds during the retorque. Shredding RTV is also why you never use it on an oil system--you may not get the RTV back out when it's disassembled, and RTV pieces then plug the oil passages.

The ONLY time I use RTV on a gasket is when the gasket mates with another gasket, or with rubber seal. I put a dab of RTV at the seam between the two gaskets, or between the gasket and seal.

I used to use Weatherstrip Adhesive (Yellow Death) to glue gaskets to castings or to valve covers, but I quit doing that when I discovered "real" gasket adhesives.

There's a hundred gasket dressings or gasket sealers. They all work better than RTV Silicone. Some brand names are: Gasgacinch, High Tack, Copper Coat, Indian Head, Permatex #1, #2, and #3. Hylomar is really good--and hatefully expensive. Gasgacinch does 95% of what Hylomar does, at 1/10 the price.
+1 on Indian head