Upper Shock Hoops vs Stock Shock location - Pro Comp 6" Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justin93

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I initially purchased my K15 on 35" bald tires exposing the wire cords, it had the 1st gen Pro Comp suspension lift kit on it.

There were a few concerns initially but with any used vehicle there was already plenty that needed TLC.

Now after going through just about more then I would of liked to i'm addressing my concerns to the suspension design, specifically the Pro Comp lift being used with the Upper shock hoops.

Here's my question:
What provides the best ride ? Using the upper shocks+the lower stock original? or Just using one shock location? Anyone running just the uppers or just the stock shock location with this kit?

because I feel that it is overkill and the kit as described by Pro Comp themselves was, "It lifts the vehicle up but does not provide any additional ground clearance. The hoops are simply for aesthetics - It's just another added option to the kit but provides more of an aesthetic addition rather than a design that was engineered better than stock or designed to run like stock"

With this It brings the question, Will the ride improve If i run just the upper shocks? Or would it run better if i run just the stock location shocks? The goal is to eliminate what is not necessary or what would offer better function rather than just 'aesthetics'. I'm up for any option at this point but wanted to post on the forum to see if anyone else has gone through a similar experience?

I'm hoping anyone with experience with these bolt on kits can chime in and put in there opinions. I'm currently working with King on some IBP shocks but am possibly looking into working with there Smooth body 2.0 reservoirs as the lift kit was not designed to cycle through 10" of travel. Yeah Yeah Solid Axle but this is a Daily driven truck I commute to 20+ miles through the city and hit Hollister hills anywhere from 1-2 weekends a month depending on weather. I also have 31 spline Axles, Eaton limited slip posi diff, 4.56 gears and such so If someone is going to comment with 'Just SAS it' please provide relevant links as to where it wont cost an arm and a leg or of a forum discussion. Since the investment has been made in the rear 10 Bolt already, It's not quite practical to consider an SAS at this time but I'm an avid craigslister and have found moser 9" unused with all internals for less than 200$ brand new, picked up my winch bumper for 85$ and so forth.

I wouldn't dare to ever 'rock crawl' in any IFS vehicle so activities the truck goes through would be mud bogs, fire trails, brush trails, and various obstacles - Very mild in comparison to what you would take an jeep or any other Solid axle vehicle.

For clarity, I've provided the collapsed/extended lengths of the shocks that were designed for Pro Comp's lift kit.

Original Lower Shock Measurements
Collapsed: 14.8
Ext. Length: 24.5"
10.2" of travel

Upper Hoop Shock Measurements
Collapsed: 16.1"
Ext. Length: 26"
10.1" of travel

Rear Shock Measurements:
Compressed: 17.5
Ext: Length: 29.5"
12" of travel

Any information you guys can chime in on what would be the ideal route to go would be appreciated. I will be testing out how it performs when running just my lower shocks this weekend, and compare it to running with just the upper shocks that are mounted on the hoop to the upper control arm and provide my experience in this thread.

Shocks used: Fox IFP 2.0 for the rears, and lower stock location
Remote Reservoirs for the upper shocks

Sorry for the crappy pictures i'll upload more once I'm at home.
Thanks

Attachments

• image (7).jpg
    image (7).jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 27
  • image (8).jpg
    image (8).jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 32
  • image (9).jpg
    image (9).jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 28

98 Chevy Swag

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if you could post some pictures of the shock hoops and shocks I have a 6in bds lift and fox 2.0's and was thinking about getting the hoop and shocks and did you notice a better ride quality with the extra shocks thanks

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
Dual shock hoops, I assume? I'd either run two shocks per corner on the hoops or single shock per corner in the stock location depending on what you'll be doing. If you're doing a lot of playing around in dunes and wide open areas you'd probably be better off running two remote reservoir shocks in the hoops. For lower speed stuff or just highway, the extra cost wouldn't really be justified so you'd probably be better off running one shock in stock location.

Whatever you do, pay attention to the valving. For instance if the shock in your stock location is valved for dual or triple shock and you want to run just the single shock, you'll want to either get them with different valving or change the valving if they're rebuildable.