upgrades on my first 96 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edgarking69

Reaction score
well ive been looking on ebay and ive found a bunch of cheap accel parts also i have a msd 2 blaster coil laying around that id like to put in how do these go about instalation wise

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure you have the right air pressure in your tires maybe wax it for less drag.

Tinbender59

I AM JUST PLUM CRAZY
Reaction score
I guess I'll jump on this one as well, first off 15mpg is respectable in these beasts. If you are experiencing a "bucking" when accelerating, and at cruise, I would take a serious look into the spider injectors. The other guys have given you good ideas, seriously though it is really hard to pump these critters up for millage. been there done that!!! In my opinion a cam swap is a waste, I have never gained anything from a cam except, power, and a loss of millage

Razor1981

Reaction score
Get rid of those 'autolite double platniums'. They are worthless plugs. :Boo:

First, the good old chevy 350 is not a high tech motor, go get some nice cheap NGK standard plugs you will notice a difference.

autolite double platniums are aweful. My Audi came from the factory with platnium plugs so when I replaced them, I wanted platnium (high tech motor). I could not get the NGK platniums so I setteled for the autolite double platniums... The car ran alot worse with those than it did with the old ones what were in the car for 136k. Really wish I coulda saved ya the money, I'm still a lil sore about buying those autolites, they were not cheap and they just ended up straight in the garbage... And I ordered and waited for the NGKs :3811797817_8d685371

P.S. Welcome to the world of the bow tie brother! :peace:

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
man o man, everyone is crazy, i dont know about all of you but i think its all good no matter what, for an example, with the CAIs it doesnt really matter what you do, i have one of those cheap ebay kits, i didnt put it on there to expect super power out of it, i did it because thats all part of the world of customizing your truck, and i believe someone has said it but if your looking for good gas mileage then you have the wrong vehicle, civic is where you need to be, even with gas prices as high as they are, i just love having a good ole fashioned 350 chevy, you shouldnt be wanting to modify your vehicle to get better gas mileage, you should want to do it because thats what you do to chevys, my suggestion is just have fun with it, the further from stock the better

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
man o man, everyone is crazy, i dont know about all of you but i think its all good no matter what, for an example, with the CAIs it doesnt really matter what you do, i have one of those cheap ebay kits, i didnt put it on there to expect super power out of it, i did it because thats all part of the world of customizing your truck, and i believe someone has said it but if your looking for good gas mileage then you have the wrong vehicle, civic is where you need to be, even with gas prices as high as they are, i just love having a good ole fashioned 350 chevy, you shouldnt be wanting to modify your vehicle to get better gas mileage, you should want to do it because thats what you do to chevys, my suggestion is just have fun with it, the further from stock the better

some of us like to have our good ole fashioned 350 chevy but can't afford to pay outrageous fuel bills. That's why we want to have good MPG. Some of us also need a truck for things like carrying bikes and towing trailers that you can't really do with a civic or a prius...

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to make your vehicle better for fuel efficiency or whatever, but the goals need to be reasonable, to the OP I would say shooting for between 15-18 peak MPG would be a reasonable goal depending on what you're currently getting. and there is no need to spend tons of money on stuff that isn't worth it, or just flat out don't work...

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
there is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to make your vehicle better for fuel efficiency or whatever, but the goals need to be reasonable, to the OP I would say shooting for between 15-18 peak MPG would be a reasonable goal depending on what you're currently getting. and there is no need to spend tons of money on stuff that isn't worth it, or just flat out don't work...

Exactly! I can confirm that 15-18MPG is about the max. The best highway mileage I've heard of is about 17-18MPG and if you drive really carefully you can get 15-16MPG in the city... That takes some commitment though. 14-15 City MPG is more reasonable. The thing that makes the biggest difference is the way you drive... I would say from my (limited) experience the lack of fuel thirsty mods is probably second (read: almost stock motor) and the third thing that I've noticed is making sure it is all tuned well.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most of it is how you drive, I averaged 15-16 with mixed city/highway with alot of mods (that was when I had my supercharger on too with 42# injectors), stock I got an average of 16-17 mixed, peak around the high 18's when I was stock, peak in the mid to low 17's modified. I've gained a tiny bit since I removed the blower, but less than 1mpg.