Upgrades for longevity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then there’s the water trickled into the throttle body trick too! :oops:
At 82k I’m not touching my heads, at least hopefully not for a while.
Yes the water drizzled into the intake does help steam clean the combustion chamber however I’ve always used a spray bottle because the risk of hydro locking an engine with too much water is too high to risk it. If I buy a vehicle that’s got a dirty intake and combustion chamber I will use sea foam spray into the throttle body while it’s running till the can is empty. Shut the engine off and then the next day take it for a rip on the highway.

On my old 76 Buick it had 70,000 miles when I got it in 2003. It was so carboned up it barely could do a burnout. By 2010 it had burned so much carbon out the exhaust it was incredible. A boroscope showed that the combustion chambers were now clean. All I used was seafoam in the fuel and seafoam soak before leaving it to soak overnight. Also driven as a 16 year old would lol! The carbon buildup increases detonation and pre ignition as well.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I first drizzled water down the carb primary venturis to steam-clean the combustion chambers forty-something years ago.

A "urine stream" back-and-forth between the carb venturis with the engine at fast-idle. You'd never hydro-lock an engine that way.

I probably dump over a gallon of water altogether. Change the oil afterward, it'll have moisture from blow-by.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I first drizzled water down the carb primary venturis to steam-clean the combustion chambers forty-something years ago.

A "urine stream" back-and-forth between the carb venturis with the engine at fast-idle. You'd never hydro-lock an engine that way.

I probably dump over a gallon of water altogether. Change the oil afterward, it'll have moisture from blow-by.
I agree however when giving internet advice I’d hate to see someone dump too much water down an engine. In your educated capable hands the water trickle is fine but I won’t advice that to novices online who may not know what hydro locking even is.

Much respect