Upgrades for longevity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

izzylopez

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you who responded. Money has been tight and there are definitely some things that need to be addressed with this truck and I can only slowly repair them. Replaced the canister vent valve and next is both downstream o2 sensors because of the codes it has.
I see that ACDelco and Bosch are excellent brands. What other brands are there like these for GM parts? I get a lot of parts from RockAuto.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
I use RockAuto for a lot of parts, despite working at AutoZone. They still have the AC Delco/GM Genuine for a lot of parts, so I try to go with that. I recommend either Delco or Denzo for oxygen sensors, not Bosch. Just due to past experiences of Bosch failing frequently on my old K3500.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
What goes/is wrong with the rear end I actually have had my trans rebuilt at 150 as it was slipping like ya said. But it’s good now but how do I know if my rear is going bad or is???

Usually catastrophic failure of some kind when doing truck stuff. There are some warning signs that its not long for this world... if it starts making noise that increases with load and road speed, or if the plug welds that hold the axle tube to the diff housing are all cracked, or if it has heavy flaky rust on the tubes. Any of these signs you should be actively looking for a 9.5"

Otherwise at the very least while shopping for a 9.5, change the leaf spring U-bolts and perches. The perches hold water and mud and rust the u-bolts down to pencil lead thin before they just pop off unexpectedly.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you who responded. Money has been tight and there are definitely some things that need to be addressed with this truck and I can only slowly repair them. Replaced the canister vent valve and next is both downstream o2 sensors because of the codes it has.
I see that ACDelco and Bosch are excellent brands. What other brands are there like these for GM parts? I get a lot of parts from RockAuto.
For parts that need to be reliable, I only use OEM. So generally Delco. By that, I mean parts that are crucial to you not ending up on the side of the road, and/or parts that are a pain in the ass to replace. Examples would be the fuel pump, the turn signal multifunction switch, alternator, AC compressor. I could have ordered a Chinese made turn signal switch for $30, but once I saw all that is involved in replacing it, i paid the $200+ for the Delco one. And it's a job I never want to do again. Not particularly difficult per se, but time consuming, with lots of disassembly required, including removing the airbag.

I use Rockauto for the part numbers and then always do a Google search. More often than not, I find the same exact part on Amazon with free Prime shipping. Otherwise I order from Rockauto and I've never been disappointed.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NGK/NTK

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I was a dealer techinician, we never had the time to let it skin over. Take from that what you will.
When I was working in an independent shop and dealership that prioritized oil changes over main shop work, had plenty of time for it to skin over. That is a different story and part of the reason I left that part of the industry. I hated having to drop everything unless I was working on a waiter and make less money doing maintenance crap for waiters with advisors that could not upsell to save their life. I made more $$$ on warranty work than the maintenance upsells they focused on. The advisors got spiffed on tires and the techs took it in the rear. I cannot even begin to count the times they would sell tires and leave brakes completely shot, ball joints and tie rod ends rattling around and timing belts hanging on by threads.