Universal Muffler. Use it or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First of all, 89 RCSB, V6.

With that out of the way, I got a universal muffler for CHEAP from Advance Auto. It listed at fitting my truck, so I grabbed it. I took it out of the box and compared it with the rusted junk OEM muffler. I can make it fit, but I'm concerned it may just rob more power from an already anemic V6.

What do you all think?

Comparison:

You must be registered for see images attach

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The larger the muffler is, the more restrictive.

The new one is smaller. I'd say itll be louder and less restrictive, even with the seemingly small inlet/outlet pipe diameters.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The larger the muffler is, the more restrictive.

The new one is smaller. I'd say itll be louder and less restrictive, even with the seemingly small inlet/outlet pipe diameters.

That's a new one on me. How is smaller less restrictive?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread to the Exhaust sub-section.

Yep. Size means (almost) nothing. Construction means (almost) everything.

But for the record, the Flowmaster "Big Block" mufflers were larger than the regular ones. A big case can mean big, free-flowing internal pipes, with lots of sound-absorbing packing inside.

Or they can be built like the GM mufflers, big pipes on the outside, necked-down to tiny pipes on the inside.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see. I went ahead and ordered the correct muffler for this heap. Mostly because I just don't feel like going through the hassle of fitting together various bends and sizes of exhaust pipe. Too much of a PITA for what it's worth.

As for the universal muffler, I'm going to keep it and it will likely serve as spare parts for who-knows-what in the future.

Thanks for the info.

EDIT: BTW, @ Schurkey, this truck still had the original cat and I'm almost positive it's now junk. I cut it off with a sawzall, 6 inches ahead of the 1-wire O2 sensor. Think the exhaust is free flowing now? Lol...

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update and closure:

The "correct" muffler came in. I installed that, and put a new cat on, as I had one laying around from a previous truck that I had parted out. The pipes were a really close match, so I used it. I was also able to reuse the exhaust pipe coming from the muffler and dumping behind the passenger rear tire.

Not pretty, but it works. The goal here is to get it done cheap.

Now that I look at this pic again, I've noticed that the muffler strap looks a bit loose. Strange, as the bolt that tightens it is completely cinched, AND, the whole exhaust is rather tightly secured.

What are the chances that that O2 sensor still works?

I am probably going to replace the exhaust manifold-to-Y pipe gaskets, as well. It wasn't a priority today.

On another note, I have a full set of parking brake cables on order. I hope that doesn't turn into a big project. I'd really like to see this old truck drive-able and inspected before the end of the summer.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the chances that that O2 sensor still works?
Define "works".

If it's as old as it looks, I'd say approximately zero chance that it responds like it's supposed to. Good chance that it responds "enough" to make some folks think it's OK, though. It may/may not set a code--but O2 sensors are lazy long before they're bad enough to trigger the MIL.

I'd have yanked it out and shoved in a fresh one, while the exhaust pipes were out-of-the-way.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It'll get done. Soon as it becomes necessary to remove that Y-pipe to replace the donut gaskets up above, the O2 sensor will be replaced with them. Hell, they're only about $20 @ Rock Auto.

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Planning a full true dual swap with headers but this bugger is broken!!!!

93chevyluvr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Planning a full true dual swap with headers but this bugger is broken!!!!