Franken-Tahoe? Found for sale in Brazil, not sure what it is... or was

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Depends upon where you live.
Here in MA, once it's 20yrs old, it only has to pass safety.
Yup in Texas once it's 25 , no more emissions inspection. Only safety inspection, and that goes away next January. Newer vehicles in the urban/suburban counties will still have emissions inspection until they hit 25.

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Front brakes

GM Brazil GMT400 factory service manual
Thanks for sharing!!! The bracket has two bolts holding it to the spindle but the caliper has only one guide bolt, never seen that before. The picture of the spindle in the repair manual reminds me of Baer spindle mod. Also interesting, the crossmember for the rear body mounts, I've never seen that before. Actually the frame looks to be a good bit different in general, the bed body mounts, and the front clip. And I'd guess the gas tank is in the rear, the fuel door is on the passenger side rear of the tire. Interesting, thank you!

Attachments

• Brake Kit - Spindle Mod Instructions.pdf
    711.5 KB · Views: 1

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing!!! The bracket has two bolts holding it to the spindle but the caliper has only one guide bolt, never seen that before. The picture of the spindle in the repair manual reminds me of Baer spindle mod. Also interesting, the crossmember for the rear body mounts, I've never seen that before. Actually the frame looks to be a good bit different in general, the bed body mounts, and the front clip. And I'd guess the gas tank is in the rear, the fuel door is on the passenger side rear of the tire. Interesting, thank you!

Yes, it’s very interesting.

As reported some years ago, elsewhere on GMT400 by a member from South America, the version sold in South America is actually based on a different chassis and powertrain.

The body and trim is identical, or at least very similar in many ways, but the rest of the vehicle is based on a different platform.

See https://www.gmt400.com/threads/brazilian-gmt400s.12965/post-1002433

and

Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Depends upon where you live.
Here in MA, once it's 20yrs old, it only has to pass safety.
It still has to pass 25 year federal inspection to be allowed to be imported unless it meets certain specs.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It still has to pass 25 year federal inspection to be allowed to be imported unless it meets certain specs.
That maybe, but the majority of them are already over that year mark & the rest will be there shortly.