Tyler's DD/plaything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Plus I'm buying 285s this week or next. Kinda need those.

sent from what is likely a flagged smartphone.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Smoked led third brake light is on its way

sent from what is likely a flagged smartphone.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Woah. Been a minute since I updated this.

For starts I finished the upper corner mod before the snow started flying. Something about bare sockets and road salt just didn't tickle me in the right ways. I was sent a couple sets of side markers from P1 and one had a chrome interior lower! So I cut the bulb riser out and drilled a hole in the smoked top corner and glued the riser to it. Popped in a white LED for symmetrical reasons (all white upper lights and Amber lowers) and she's looking halfway decent again!

While I was messing with it an idea hit me. I have a green truck and clear visor lenses. Why not have green cab lights?! So out came the Amber ones and in went the greens. Holy. Crap. Green was insane. Even with my 4hi mod and the LED bar my cab lights would turn road signs GREEN. Turned many heads too. So many people would stare. Little kids would point at it, random people would come up to me at gas stations and I thought it was sweet as hell. The state cop that passed me on my way home after a 20 hour work day one night apparently had other opinions. Well it was fun while it lasted. He wasn't too happy I was carrying the Amber ones just in case that situation did arise so I got a r&r for front window tint. HAHAHA yeah right dude. I didn't want that $150 anyways. I like my tint. But I did swap the green lights out. Too much attention for right now. And I've since seen some county plow rigs running green strobes in combination with the Amber ones. A little research turned up a trial run with state and local municipalities testing green lights for better visibility (science has proven green is more visible to the human eye than any other color. Look it up. Some of the science behind night vision goggles and new laser sights being green instead of the usual red)
You must be registered for see images

Let's see. Oh my blower motor finally threw in the towel. The past year it has progressively made its way to shiitting the bed. Started with a mild chirping that The radio easily drowned out to every once in a great while not turning and a slight tap on the ass would get it going to whacking it with a snow brush to kicking it to beating the living daylights out of it with a short handle 3lb sledge to gah shiit. I better buy one I'm probably denting the backing plate. Was dreading the job based on how much of a pain in the arse doing anything else on these trucks can be and with a half price new one from Napa due to a workplace discount and a gift card my sister gave me for Christmas I was pleasantly surprised to find the old one was out in about 5 minutes and there was no junk in the housing at all. New one was back in and blowing like a homeless crack addict. Rubber sound buffer included!

Before that I did a thermostat cause she was taking a bit to heat up in the fall weather and I hadn't replaced it since I got it. Figured it was well past due. Another quickie job and she heats up in about 5 minutes. Found a water pump leak while I was digging around but no puddles yet. Hoping to gimp it along till spring.

Bought a couple new fenders awhile back. Not sure if that was in a previous update or not. Oem and in primer. Those will wait til the asphalt plant fires up in spring and every last speck of salt dust has long since washed away from these pothole laden things we have here they call roads. Got a grille from the junk yard that looks to be about a week old. Had all new lights in it too. Bumper under it was a newer smoothie. Not my style so it stayed. That'll go on with the fenders. Tailgate gets painted with them. (no more drunk rattle can primer job!) no pics for those. Still in boxes in a buddy's basement.

Last but not least the pioneer head unit I had was switched for a newer Bluetooth one. Got a sweet discount on two of them from Best Buy and the Gfs xplod from the early 90s just wasn't up to par anymore with sticking cracking buttons and a USB slot that refused to do anything. I'll update with pics later.

Also got rid of my overplayed and we'll worn set of BFG all terrains. She's gliding on a fresh set of Toyo open country ATII's now. 265/75/16. I needed some new grips. The old BFGs wore well but they barely got me through last winter. Sold my second set of Toyos and junk dune rims for a cool $200. One Craigslist deal I do not regret. I'll be back for a tread wear update next winter. I did test out the new ones and they dig all day. At least for a daily. I'm sure they wouldn't serve well in the sloppy shiit but on the road and the easy trails I do they grab and they go. Didn't even need 4x4 for my test trip. Do good in the sand and snow as well which was my main reason for going back to Toyo in the first place. I don't have a bad word about these so far aside from the fact the standard load tires don't have the strongest tread ply which is fine until. They wear down. Then it seems like you drive around a nail factory all week. At least the original open country tires did. These might be different. We will just have to see.

I'm finally on my way to tackling this horrid exhaust!!!!! Christmas came a week early. My stubborn ass was hell bent on buying a set of JBA stainless headers for the truck for about a month. When I had the money I was about to commit to buying them and a 10lb present dropped on my legs. I was forced to open it and boom. There they were!!!! I had three of my closest friends trying to convince me I would be better off doing an LS swap or buying a different truck. I didn't have the coin for the LS and I refuse to let this truck go so the gf was left no choice but to make me open it. A few more parts and the heads will be off to have the broken bolts removed and a new exhaust will finally be on!

Don't think I have anything else really.

sent from a likely flagged smartphone.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Oh yeah forgot. Power steering pump unloaded itself under the hood on the way home from Work one late night. Other asphalt buddy of mine and myself stayed up til 3am that night to fix it. Back up at 6 for work haha. I have some good friends. Only got one pic from That ordeal. This was when our second wind kicked in. We were not drunk. No time for that stuff during the season. Work sleep and poop. That's about all we do.
yeah I'm the guy under the truck. I do my own dirty work unless someone else volunteers. Also took the liberty of deleting that blasted EVO whatchajigger. Who knew the reman pump comes with an adapter line just for that purpose?? No more choppy steering on the sweeping curves and loop on ramps and off ramps. Full pressure all the time.

Last edited:

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well there's a change in plans. No longer doing new cats and sensors. I don't have the funds for that right now. So instead I'm going to knock out my current cats, forget the sensors, pull the heads, have them cleaned and checked, valve seals installed and bolts drilled. I have the shop picked out already. I'm patiently waiting for a couple unemployment payments tomorrow and I'll be ordering a new AEM dry flow filter, valve seals, ARP head stud kit, gasket kit, and recon smoked tailgate mini light bar instead. Cats are almost $500 and sensors are extra. Don't have a grand to drop in my exhaust right now. I gotta save just in case I need valve train parts or new heads.

The Baron

I like drugs
Reaction score
Wow I love the green visor lights! Shame about the cop getting ya though. Any idea if there's any law that states they have to be orange? Or was it because they were so bright?

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
No color other than white or Amber showing from The front. But with the green possibly being an official service coloring might be able to run em again. I hope so. The green was so cool.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
It's going under the knife y'all.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
that's my drivers rear cylinder section of the manifold. Aside from maybe a 1/4 inch of metal the manifold was split in two. I finished the break by hand.
I'm also one very blessed son of a gun. No broken bolts other than the one that was broke when I bought it. So far. I even got this **** sucker out without it crumbling. I'm getting a new one just to be safe though. It was beginning to corrode pretty bad at the bottom.

The wall of shame.

looks like we are getting somewhere. More to come tomorrow.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Day two began a little late as we were pooped from working on my truck. Earlier that day my buddies ended up pulling the motor out of an 88 one of them had bought the previous night. So one motor pulled and stripped and another half way apart whooped them out. I did most of the parts pulling on mine so I was beat as well after working around the house all day.

We had two bolts left on the drivers manifold. well what was left of it at least. After a trip for propane for the heater and some other supplies we were back at it around noon. Gave up on wrenching on it or attempting to. A little convincing with the map gas hot wrench and a strong set of vise grips got the front one out. Disconnected the EGR tube from the intake. A few bends and we snapped the rest off the exhaust manifold for some more working room. Hot wrench went on the back bolt for a bit and it wouldn't budge. 3/4 rounded off. Was not looking good. Being the last bolt I smacked the manifold with a hammer and it rotated a little! Few more hits and I had more space to work with. More heat and a pair of pliers got it moving freely. The battle was won! Both manifolds came off with no more broken bolts! Next was the upper intake, valve covers, lower intake and finally the heads! She's tucked into my buddy's garage without a hood and rags over the motor.

This is just ugly. The heads are fairly clean valve train wise. Thanks to my running full synthetic the past five years she's cleaned up a ton. Valve covers were spotless. No milky moisture pockets and no grime at all. I ram my finger inside and I got nothing but clean oil on my fingers. This engine has 252 and some change on the odometer with nothing but intake gaskets. Having it that clean just made my day.

The intake on the other hand is just morbid. It's like a mascara bomb went off in there. If it wasn't for the gasket surfaces being shiny aluminum I would have thought it was just plastic. It's BAD. I made the decision that The EGR will never ever be hooked up ever again. Ever. The valve seals will be coming with the fel-pro gasket kit. I ordered ARP head bolts today. Depending on the tax return I may get cats and sensors then. Until that happens I'm getting new flanges on my pipes and I'm knocking out my convertors for better flow. AEM dry flow filter will be spec'd and ordered tomorrow. Intake and heads are going to performance engineering tomorrow as well to be cleaned up, checked and have valve seals installed.

Thanks to Crew Cab Steve if I get the all clear that The heads are good I may do a set of 1.6 rockers for more lift and power. Apparently it's not a bunch more but for the cost, the claims of up to 30hp seems worth it. All depends where the budget is. I'll probably end up getting push rods if my current ones don't clean up to my standards. They all drained a ton of oil but they got alot of crud on them. May try to clean off the piston tops tomorrow as well. It'll be cleaning and planning day. Vacuum out all the junk from the tear down, degrease what I can see, and cover it back up.

Way easier to change oil this way. You can get right to the filter. Only about a days worth of work. You can even do head gaskets while you're in there!

Last edited: