Tyler's DD/plaything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
1997 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado 4x4 Ext. cab short bed. 350/4L60e/3.73. Green and tan ext. tan int. 265/75/16 Toyo Open Country A/TII standard load 35psi tires on stock wheels. Stainless Steel JBA shorty headers, stainless Magnaflow cats and (pending) flowmaster super 40 dual in/out to 4 inch stainless 45 degree angle cut tips. Downey products (awesome) tonneau cover currently in storage while I run the weatherguard Diamond plate over the rail tool box. Volant cold air intake with an AEM DryFlow filter. AVS vent visors. Lund Moonvisor with clear lenses and Amber LEDs. Smoked headlight, LED parking lights, and corners with upper corner mod all LED. Full HID swap with 8,000k lows and 5,000k highs and 4hi mod. 22" opt7 LED light bar on a custom bracket. It's not the best bracket. The light does wiggle on hard bumps but it's pretty solid. EBay smoked red LED tails with HyPer standard white reverse lights. Wicked bright reverse. EBay smoked LED third brake light. White LED cargo lights. Recon smoked mini tailgate light bar with reverse. Double take archery arrow antenna.

20% front side window tint to match factory privacy deep tint glass. Husky liners in the foot wells up front. Cobra 29 on home made mount. Suburban overhead console. Single line compass temp mirror (still needs hooked up). LED cluster and HVAC in white. A/C is blue recirc is green. Door courtesy is white footwells are white dome and all four maps are white. Pioneer Bluetooth head unit with all pioneer speakers, pioneer amp and JLAudio 12" sub halfway under the back seat in a ported box.

That's the current status. I really needed to update this post haha. Any questions just ask.

The day I bought it. 176,455miles clean title. Minimal rust on tailgate and frame. Solid fenders and rockers little above windshield. $4,000 cash paid.
You must be registered for see images attach

Bought in late March early April 2010 around a month after my birthday. It's had some bumps and bruises since. I caught a tree while wheeling on some trails and crunched the right fender. Four days after getting the muffler in February 2014 I was rear ended. Exhaust was mangled. Frame was bent. Luckily it was easily mended and looks almost perfect today. Bumper sags just a touch on the right side but a normal person would never notice.

Future plans:

6 inch RCX maybe super lift 6. I'm now torn.

Procomp 1069's or some sort of simulated bead lock bullet hole wheel 17x9 wrapped in 315/70/17 nitto dune grapplers if they are even available at the time. If they aren't I'm going to go nuts trying to find a tire that I like. Winters I will trade the saw blades for a set of GMT900 aluminum 18s with who knows what size tire.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do up front. I don't know if I want to do a brush guard or a bull bar. Maybe a Baja bar that's color matched withal decked out diesel bumper.

Headache rack either custom built or a back rack. I'm leaning towards a back rack. The custom one I wanted is long gone. I'll run an amber Federal Signal Highlighter Solaris LED mini bar on top and hang another opt7 bar from the center section facing rear. Considering a curved rigid to go tuck right up against the bottom of the visor. Not sure yet.

Fix rusty fenders this summer. I have two new ones in primer. The rockers and cab corners will Have to wait. The roof will most likely be next. I need a windshield.

Try a Demold. Chrome trim is already on its way off.

Paint the tailgate with new fenders.

New bed.

I will daily the truck until I get a newer truck (06-07mega cab Cummins). Then it will become a dune toy. I will run it as is for awhile. Maybe throw a set of small paddle tires on it. Whatever blows will get built. If the engine goes it'll be rebuilt as a 383 stroker if it doesn't need boring. If it needs to be bored over I think that'll make it a 396 correct me if I'm wrong. If the block is junk I'm going on the hunt for a 3.9 Cummins and a 4l80e. Keep it simple for awhile and build them as I go.

That sums up the first post. Keep looking as I plan to change this post as things get done or I find new things I want to do. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
So here's the damage I've done so far.

Hit by open utility trailer doing 80 down the highway. This resulted in needing a new front bumper.
rim still holds air like it should and I've had the tires down to 8psi all day on sand dunes with no problem.

Caught a tree while wheeling

Backed into another tree while wheeling. Had no reverse lights and it was dark so I never saw it. There's a video somewhere. I will try to find it. This enlarged the dent in the bumper so I replaced it when the plastic pad popped loose.

That sums up all the physical damage that my old Chevy has seen. Minus some dings and scratches from daily use. Nothing severe.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
This begins the long list of mods. Not all in order but here goes nothin.
volant cold air intake. I was sick of the cheap looking autozone intake. Plus I wanted to rid my throttle body of that restrictive turbulence generating Vortec upper intake plenum deal. $210

Craigslist find. Weatherguard's dang near too end toolbox with two keys and working locks. Unmolested by kids mounting cb whips on mirror mounts self tapped into the sides. Sure it is a little faded but its $600 new. I paid $130. The bed mat in this pic was dang nice but got stolen about a year ago when it sat at a park and ride while I took a weekend trip to D.C. Now I have a cheaper thinner one.

Husky Liners! Just the driver and passenger side for now. Ill consider the center hump the winter after this coming. The rear won't happen til I have kids. Which is a long ways down the road.

Pioneer head unit. Gift from the gf for my bday because she was tired of my skipping CD player and unlit buttons. Came with two 4x6 speakers now installed in the doors. Also two 6x9s that went in her car cause they wouldn't fit the truck. I have two pioneer 4x6s in the back now. Also added a 750 watt pioneer amp I got from a buddy so I don't know RMS specs. And hooked to a JLAudio 12" sub on the seat for now.

This is the money pit addiction. HID/LED. Started with a spare 35 watt low beam kit a buddy had laying around that I picked up for $30. This escalated to me running a HD harness for the lows. Then I got a 55watt high beam kit for Christmas and ran a 4Hi mod and HD harness for the highs.

Recently continued the LED swap. Door courtesy's, glove box and license plates have been done for awhile cheap 10 for $10 white eBay LEDs. MOBS supplied the under dash and cluster lights. Replaced the glove box with a MOBS led because its way brighter.

Smoked eBay LED tails. This was more of a functionality solution than an aesthetic modification. This would have made my third set of lenses and fourth set of circuit boards in three years of ownership. I was tired of fixing them. Could be alot brighter but for $100 I won't *****. Reverses were standard bulbs so I opted to upgrade to MOBS' $50 bulbs. Holy hell are they bright. Worth every penny.
Installed. The tailgate was a lucky junkyard score. No real blemishes. But it was maroon. I taped the banner and sanded and spray bomb primed. Looks like ass but grey is better than red. When I get some time and money next year I will get it painted to match at a body shop.

$20 driving lights from Wally World. Came with wiring and switch. Bracket is a 2012 international tran star front license plate bracket cut and bent to the front bumper contours of my truck. Slid it behind my stock front license plate holder and bump strip and attached with the bolts. Works awesome. Will swap for LEDs or HID's when I get a brush guard.
Also in this shot I have the 6 piece Lund grille cover/inserts that I got for free on a nearly new grille I bought from the you pull.

Window tint!!! Matched the rear privacy glass $60. Was told its like 20% or 35%. Either way I love it. Also went in a spending spree and got stainless Team Realtree emblems for the rear of the cab. The third door side is wicked close to not working. I have a part of the emblem inside the flip out window edge and a little hangs over the door edge but it doesn't catch the paint ever. Other stickers include

Ted Nugent for president
American Flag Bear Archery decal
Terrorist and zombie hunting permits.
Anti Obama omg wtf
Magnaflow performance
Two Apple inc placed inconspicuously
Got Sand?
2x Loud pipes save lives on inside toolbox lid
American Flag Cabela's stickers on rear sides
More to come

Last edited:

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Arrow antenna! Double Take Archery IIRC. Was running an aluminum arrow on my stock antenna and it finally fatigued the antenna enough that it snapped getting on the highway. They landed on my mirror so I retrieved them both while driving. $35

Cobra 29 classic. Free. Doesn't receive for ****. Will be replaced with a Cobra 29 NightWatch in the future. I just use while convoying with friends on trips, stuck in traffic, and while wheeling. All close range. The mount is my custom creation. I have flat hole stock like the 90* running under the floor mat to the center seat bolt. Works alright. Could be cleaner. Ill think about it someday.
Custom whip mounts. I used old camper shell clamps with some flat stock. Color matched cause I was bored.

5 year old energizer battery took a dump at work. Lucky me we had the interstate I wanted sitting in the parts room. My name was all over it hahaha. $80

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Overhead console from a Burb. It's
Grey but I don't care. My headliner will be Realtree APG at some point. I ain't ever selling the truck an I sleep fine at night knowing it doesn't match.

Lund Moon Visor! Good shape. Craigslist find. Needed wiring and lenses.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Just some random shots.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah I kinda figured it was an enthusiast thing. It has also driven me to want to buy my s-10 blazer back and do some stuff to that. It was a damn nice truck.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
The end all be all of Ursula:

To start the body will be completely removed. For starts all the rust will be fixed. Dents as well. If any of it is beyond repair new will be purchased to replace. Each part will go on a rotisserie. The cab first. Blasted. Underside rockers cab corners and floor will be treated to PRP Industries metal polymerization process. No bare metal will be left uncovered. This truck will never rust again. If it has to be dunked in a vat of the stuff so be it hahaha. Roof and halfway down the pillars as well. Rest will be primered.

Next a spotless southern bed will be purchased. Blasted as well. PRP Will polymerize the inside of the fleet side. These were always left as bare metal. They will also do the bed rails, inside of the bed, fuel door and filler hole, behind tail lights and underside of bed.

Fenders will be found and hit inside where is usually bare with PRP. Inner fenders too. 2inch cowl will have the forward end hit with it as well. Door bottoms inside and out as well as the back corner of the window openings. Tailgate bottom inside and out. I'm a huge fan of the polymerization for the simple fact that the paint literally makes a chemical bond to the metal surface so it will never rust or chip or bubble. I have some trucks at work that have had this process done on their fuel tanks. They run a service life in Michigan of about 10+ years. Leases rarely get washed. The tanks never have a blemish other than some fading at most and the regular painted steel tanks have to be reprinted every couple years and need leak repair after about 5-7 years.

That's it for paint. The final color is still a raging battle in my head. That's ok. I have about 15 or so years if not more before it gets to be a priority.

Next is finding a powertrain and drivetrain. I am looking at finding an 8.1L 494ci big block from a rolled donor truck preferably an '06 with an Allison and floor shifted t-case. These will all be ripped out along with the rear axle. The front will be a straight axle from God knows where. Both will have eaton lockers and 4:10's.

Dry fitting will commence. When everything sits proper and is well configured the frame will have the old axles dropped. It will be blasted, have conduit run along key pinch points for wiring. Then it will be PRP'd and rhino lined. Stainless fuel and brake lines will be run. Fuel tank will be PRP'd or be a poly replacement tank. Mounted with stainless hardware.

8.1 gets paint goes in. Axles hung in a 4 link setup. She's ready to tear up the dunes.

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nice, love the tail lights, I had those fog lights before and some one actualy followed me a busted them out when I went into the store, the were bright as hell