Turn signal wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
I've put in far more effort for far less. Its a hobby, its what you do

Well I'm not saying its terrible and I could care less if its legal or not people put hids in these trucks all day. My position on it I'd I don't care for the idea but however if I knew how to pull it off I'd Prolly tell him.anyway I don't want anyone thinking I'm bashing only stating my opinion, the fact that it'll probably look horrible and take way too much time and energy for a wasted mod.

Sent from my 6.0 powered android

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
The reverse and and turn signal housing in those GTO lights are IDENTICAL so what exactly is your point? There is a diffuser right over the end of the bulb, wether in the reverse or turn and what exactly do you think its purpose is? Its to reduce GLARE....

:D - So no one thinks I'm angry....

see my edit... I've more than covered this point. Glare is quite simply not a concern on a low-wattage bulb. Casper shields are designed to reduce glare on high wattage halogens. If they were necessary for safety on turn signals, brake lights, or reverse bulbs, they would be factory equipment. They're not.

radical7

admitted truck *****
Reaction score
how bout this instead of argueing publicly y dont yall just pm each other

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
how bout this instead of argueing publicly y dont yall just pm each other
Because no one else on this forum does, and I would see fit to publicly disprove his unsubstantiated but insistent position that, on its merits (and with no experience or documentation), the topic being discussed is "unsafe".

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
see my edit... I've more than covered this point. Glare is quite simply not a concern on a low-wattage bulb. Casper shields are designed to reduce glare on high wattage halogens. If they were necessary for safety on turn signals, brake lights, or reverse bulbs, they would be factory equipment. They're not.

What youve covered it on are platforms completely unrelated to a GMT400 and also in lights that were designed to function solely as turn signals only. The GTO argurment doesnt hold water because the housings are identical so it doesnt matter where they are.

This can all be settled as soon as he posts up what they look like at night. We can talk about different cars/trucks with seperate signals all we want but they were designed for that purpose from the get go and therefor are different than moving the signal to a housing designed to function as a reverse light.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
The reverse lights aren't "clear" either...

Also, the reflector is painted silver, not chrome so they don't reflect worth a ****. The examples posted above have chrome reflectors so they would be brighter.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ok, the gmt400 reverse are NOT bright with leds or even incandescant(spelling?!)bulbs. Halogens maybe, but you'd prolly burn the housing with that much heat. They're diffused, in a way atleast, if they were crystal clear lenses, they'd be brighter, but Paul#2, they really aren't bright, and there is actually no glare, unlike the video showed. Video showed whitish glare spots, but the video recording was not a good quality. The only thing seen with the naked eye, is the lens changes color thoroughly, with no dim spots. It's literally as bright as faded stock tails; which as my dad pointed out when following me the other day....he could barely see my brake lights during the day.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This can all be settled as soon as he posts up what they look like at night.

This is the only thing that will settle it. If we ever see a video of the mod the OP did an I don't think they are bright enough to bother people/me I will man up, admit I was wrong about that part an we can all move on.

Either way, I still believe this will be a safety issue due to the small size and location of the GMT400 reverse light. Its just not going to be as visible no matter what. It will also always be dumb imo.....

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
What youve covered it on are platforms completely unrelated to a GMT400 and also in lights that were designed to function solely as turn signals only. The GTO argurment doesnt hold water because the housings are identical so it doesnt matter where they are.

This can all be settled as soon as he posts up what they look like at night. We can talk about different cars/trucks with seperate signals all we want but they were designed for that purpose from the get go and therefor are different than moving the signal to a housing designed to function as a reverse light.

Their being identical is EXACTLY why the argument holds water, since your assertion is hinged on one not being able to be used in the other's application. Given your responses thus far, I'll assume logic is over your head, and you are simply not smart enough to get this, but here it is anyway:
As far as brightness for a given bulb goes:

GTO reverse = GTO turn signal

GTO reverse > GMT400 reverse

Therefore GTO turn signal > GMT400 turn signal in reverse housing.

So your statement that its too bright is simply baseless. And that is only one of several arguments I am posing against your "Its too bright because its not diffused" assertion. I am using the word assertion because you offer NO argument as to why you are asserting this point.

This is the only thing that will settle it. If we ever see a video of the mod the OP did an I don't think they are bright enough to bother people/me I will man up, admit I was wrong about that part an we can all move on.

Either way, I still believe this will be a safety issue due to the small size and location of the GMT400 reverse light. Its just not going to be as visible no matter what. It will also always be dumb imo.....

So now we're changing the argument because you cannot substantiate the first one? This should go well.

Status
Not open for further replies.