94 turn signal switch sloppy issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
94 k1500(old interior) no cruise control
Turn signal lever is sloppy and feels loose. Ontop of that i was coming home one day and went to go make a right turn and the right green arrow stayed lit on my dash but the actual signal wasnt clicking. When i put my right turn signal on after that it flashed the hazards (both park lights and tail lights) along with the dash lights for about a day until it decided to fix its self. Im assuming it was backfeeding or a loose connection or something. What would fix the sloppy lever arm. I think a pin and a couple screws hold the arm tought? Just wondering if anybody else has the same problem.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Sounds like your multifunction switch body has gone bad in the column. The stalk sticking out of the side of the column simply presses into place - you can remove it with a little force pulling straight out from the column, there's no set screw or whatever. But be careful as your cruise control wires run into that stalk, and there's a good chance one or more of those wires are broken - it's fairly common in those columns.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like your multifunction switch body has gone bad in the column. The stalk sticking out of the side of the column simply presses into place - you can remove it with a little force pulling straight out from the column, there's no set screw or whatever. But be careful as your cruise control wires run into that stalk, and there's a good chance one or more of those wires are broken - it's fairly common in those columns.
It looks like they’re burnt where it plugs in.
What is a multifunction switch body? Is it the electronic switch piece that the stalk sticks into?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The terminology gets a little confusing when talking about 88-94 vs. 95-98.

On 88-94 the turn signal lever is referred to as the "multifunction lever" because it does turn signals, wipers, high/low beam dimming, and (if equipped) cruise control. All the related switches for those functions are separate physical switches both inside and outside of the column.

On 95-98 it does those same functions but all of the related switches are contained in a single "multifunction switch" assembly that is inside the column (other than of course the cruise switches which are part of the lever on both 88-94 and 95-98.)

Are we following along now :)

For a 94 with a floppy turn signal lever, could be a couple causes. It attaches to the turn signal switch inside the column with a single screw. That screw could be loose or the plastic stripped where it goes in. The turn signal switch itself could be broken as it's plastic. Time to borrow/rent/buy a steering wheel puller and lock ring depressor kit, pull the wheel and investigate.

Richard