Turn signal wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmel1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so i have a 94 1500 and i want to make the backup light my turn signal instead of the brake light.
Dont ask why, i saw an s10 around here like this and thought it looked cool. but since i suck at wiring,
i was wondering if anyone has ant insight on how to make the brake/park light separate from the turn
and then make the backup light blink as a turn signal. any questions just ask

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I'm sure it can be done, but you may want to check with Oklahoma state laws first. In some states the front turn signals must be either white or amber and the rears must be either red or amber. It would be pretty annoying to get everything wired up then get a ticket for it a week later.

Also, here is a mod on how to get both bulbs to work as brake lights, in case you feel like doing that too.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471822

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:nono:

Don't do this, it will be distracting an dangerous to drivers behind you at night. It could also blind someone an cause an accident cause they couldn't see. Same principal as leaving your high beams on an who would they probably hit? Gee let me think, oh ya you!....

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also the rear turn signal wire is the same wire as the brake light wire. 2 functions on 1 wire after it leaves the cab. Would be almost impossible to seperate unless you were really good with wireing

gimmel1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well im gonna put a switchback bulb there and redo the boards so i can have both reverse and turn. Also laws are made to be broken lol. Could I cut and re route the wires in the switch in the column? And bluex how bright are your backup lights? If they are blinding people lol

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say they are, I said they could. You ever been behind a vehicle with a busted tail light at night? It kills your night vision, almost as bad as someone high beaming you does.

I know how you could do this but I won't help you with it, its a dumb idea switchbacks or not. Lots of people (me included) have enough trouble seeing at night without something like this being done on purpose.

This will no doubt get you pulled over an possibly ticketed also but if you have money to throw away.....

gimmel1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude was kidding lol and of the ones iv seen It's not that bright, and I'm gonna niteshade it aswell but i appreciate the concern. And thanks for the opinion but you calling it dumb isnt cool I just asked a question. So if anyone has a helpful answer i would appreciate any help. thanks

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your kidding about what, this whole "idea"? I sure hope so, cause its far from "cool".... :rofl:

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
...Also laws are made to be broken lol...

Laws are meant to keep people safe, and someone flashing their reverse light at you for 3 minutes is going to be very distracting at night. We're all about modding things to be different, but sometimes we have to take a step back to see how it'll affect others.

Try looking at aftermarket taillights, maybe you'll find something that will satisfy your need to have different turn signals :shrug:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Laws are meant to keep people safe, and someone flashing their reverse light at you for 3 minutes is going to be very distracting at night. We're all about modding things to be different, but sometimes we have to take a step back to see how it'll affect others.

Try looking at aftermarket taillights, maybe you'll find something that will satisfy your need to have different turn signals :shrug:

^ this, don't take my posts the wrong way. We are all here to help each other (while giving each other crap) an its not personal or anything. You are planning on spending time an money on something that is just going to get you hassled an or fined by the cops. I don't know about you but I try not top do things that will get me pulled over. Well except for speeding :lol:

I don't want your next post to be "some ******* cop fined me for my wicked cool lights".....

Status
Not open for further replies.