Turbocharged 5.7 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Legend20seVen

Reaction score
Sorry but I am new here...I am in the process of gathering up all that I need for a turbo to throw on my 91 with a crate 350. Just wondering if anyone has pictures and a list of what all I need?

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It depends on what you want to do with it.
First you gotta figure out how much power you want to make and size the turbo to that. Then comes waste gate size and such. Are you going to be running the factory TBI or a Carb?
Sorry but I am new here...I am in the process of gathering up all that I need for a turbo to throw on my 91 with a crate 350. Just wondering if anyone has pictures and a list of what all I need?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Legend20seVen

Reaction score
Still the TBI. I’ve got a turbo from a 6.5. Not looking for crazy power or anything. Just a little more pep in my old hunting truck.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Still the TBI. I’ve got a turbo from a 6.5. Not looking for crazy power or anything. Just a little more pep in my old hunting truck.
For a little more pep, I would recommend a cam, heads, and a carb swap. However if you’re still willing to go turbo, I’m out for the lack of knowledge, but I have a very peppy N/A small block so I know the naturally aspirated side.

Legend20seVen

Reaction score
For a little more pep, I would recommend a cam, heads, and a carb swap. However if you’re still willing to go turbo, I’m out for the lack of knowledge, but I have a very peppy N/A small block so I know the naturally aspirated side.
I have a cam and an aftermarket intake. (Can’t remember what one off the top of my head) Just wanting to throw this turbo on I have and run about 5-6 psi. Just looking for some pics or ideas of builds

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please dont go over 450 on stock rods... i hope you know this. some guys will disagree... put those powdered rods can't hold up to much more than 400 or so.. my 2 pennies

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The 6.5 Diesel from the mid 90s?
I think those are called GM-8?
Its a 53mm inducer compressor / 62mm Inducer turbine with a .56 A/R Housing.

Compare that to the HX35 off the 5.9 Cummins
54mm Inducer Compressor / 70mm Inducer Turbine ~0.63 A/R

First thing your going to be severely limited by the TBI junk.

The proper turbo size is everything in a setup. As in these turbos are made for a 6.5 and 5.9 Diesel with tiny Exhaust housings. They will choke out on a 5.7 Gasoline engine.
Too large of a turbo and your boost comes in up high in the RPMS, Too small of a turbo and your getting good torque down low but it chokes it out on the exhaust side as rpms and boost increase.

Going cheap on a setup like this ends up costing you more in the end.
I got a buddy that put 2 Chinese turbos on a 5.3 in a 63 Impala and it lags until about 4800RPMs and then it takes off till the 6800rpm shift point and it falls on its face again till it builds more boost. Turbos started leaking oil in the turbine and time to rebuild them or sale them and move up to a real turbo setup that's usable.

Ive had several turbo setups on LS engines and there is quite a difference between the correct setup and one too large or too small.

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

a civil, practical solution to our thirst for power and snot

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you really want to go turbo i would advise you to talk to someone like Jose at Forced Inductions. Tell him your goals and such. He should let you know if its possible (turbo wise) or if your better off going another direction.
I dont see the TBI stuff being able to be fine tuned enough to get you where you want.