95 tbi 5.7 randomly cutting off while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kylebg94

Reaction score
I have no idea when the distributor was last touched on it. I've had it for 6 months now. I guess that may be something I can get around to checking out.
When my TBI truck had stalling problems, it was the cracked magnet on the distributor mainshaft.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
I'm learning as I'm owning this truck how to work on it. Just to be sure, that magnet is right under the distributor right?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have no idea when the distributor was last touched on it. I've had it for 6 months now. I guess that may be something I can get around to checking out.

I'm learning as I'm owning this truck how to work on it. Just to be sure, that magnet is right under the distributor right?
Under cap is the rotor and then the reluctor and then the magnets. But yes, everything you see is inside that distributor, under the cap.

Kylebg94

Reaction score
Under cap is the rotor and then the reluctor and then the magnets. But yes, everything you see is inside that distributor, under the cap.
Ok thanks for getting back to me on that. It's nice to have somewhere I can go get help for this truck. I noticed the spark plug cords are looking a little old. So I've been planning on replacing the whole distributor and cords at the same time soon. I guess I'll check to ensure that magnet isn't cracked. And get back to let anyone know what it was.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you have never replaced a distributor, set the rotor pointing at #1 cylinder on the compression stroke and timing mark lined up at TDC and then dropping new one to be timed at the same spot, make sure you check here before doing it. Your firing order, for the cords/wires, will be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. If you don't know the spark plugs age, do them too. Fuel filter age unknown, do it too.

If videos work better for you, watch some videos at you tube. I say "videos" because some people there are loose with the details. watch a few and stick with the ones you are comfortable with.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have replaced the fuel filter, and spark plugs in the past few months.
If you have a bad enough misfire, whatever cylinder(s) were effected, may need spark plugs. Check them.

Kylebg94

Reaction score
I don't think it's experiencing a misfire. I'm thinking it's something else. Just how it ran fine and randomly cut off. The battery terminals are good. Next thing I'm going to check is for vacuum leaks. And I drove it today. It didn't cut off.