Truck Won't Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyBoat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok this is gonna be a long post so get ready. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Friday night I was pulling in a buddies driveway and my truck lost power. I can usually get it to start by wiggling the battery cables. This time however, it would not turn over. So we push the truck in the driveway. Made sure the cables were tight and not corroded then we tried jump starting it. Nothing. So the next day I take the alternator and get it tested. Tested good. Then I take the battery and get it tested. Tested good. Then I take the starter and get it tested, and I could tell the guy who was doing the test did not what he was doing because it took him 10 minutes just to hook it up to the machine. But it fails the test. So I ask him if he is sure and he said he was 100% sure. I buy a new starter and before I can put it on the bolt breaks. I take it back and get another. This time they gave me the wrong one. I go swap it with the right one and get it hooked up. The truck still wont freaking start. Any ideas?

jrollings

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the engine turning over? If so, does it seem to crank over at normal speed? Check your ground wires and make sure all terminals are clean. You may have high resistance in one of the battery cables

ChevyBoat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just clicks like the starter is kicking but it's not getting enough power to the battery

jrollings

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
check your voltage to your starter with and without someone cranking it over. Sounds like that positive battery cable has high resistance. You can also remove the cable and ohm test it or do a voltage drop test like mentioned at the being of this post. Good luck!

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds like a junk battery just went thru this on a 97 k3500 dump truck the starter was bad I replaced it,turned key and it just clicked,battery was new replaced by the owner two days prior to starter replacement and it turned out it had a bad cell in it.swapped in another battery fired right off no problem

ChevyBoat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe problem to be the positive battery cable. How do I go about replacing it?

ChevyBoat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the cable that runs to the fuse box is good. I'm guessing the other runs to the starter? So should I start by the starter or what?

jrollings

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, just unhook both ends of the + cable working yiur way from the starter up or vice versa. Are you dropping voltage from the battery to the starter?

ChevyBoat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have a multimeter to test it but my cable is all kinds of **** up.